celebrating not smoking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
AndyPeace

AndyPeace

Fantastic !
Having never smoked and always thought it stank etc etc i cant see why people start , apart from mates all doing it but coming from a non smoking home and not giving a toffee about being with the in crowd i was never tempted so why do people smoke to start with ?
Its not a dig at the OP or anyone , i just would like to know ?
Cheers and no offense taken. I believed smoking would make me feel better. My dad smoked and I remember as a child that sound of peeling wrapping off a ciggerate packet...I always hoped it was sweets. The very first ciggerate I smoked, was on my own (well babysitting for my aunt) there was a pack of jps on the kitchen side. I was 15. I guess curiosity took hold. I tried one and it made me white. I have no idea why I smoked the second one that night, again it left me feeling ill. I went home that night and went straight to bed. I threw up on my bedroom floor...my mum shouted up to see if I was alright. I was too embarrassed to tell her I'd been sick. Too ashamed to tell her I had smoked. Given that it defies all odds that I would continue to smoke for 25 years.

tyred

Legendary Member
Well done.

I'm aware that the usual reasons put forward for stopping is the money saved, better long term health - lung cancer etc but the biggest advantages for me are in the here and now. No getting up with a chesty cough, no smelly clothes, no panic attach when hillwalking in the middle of nowhere and realising you've dropped your lighter somewhere along the way and two things I hadn't even thought about - the new appreciation of flowers and gardens because I can now smell the roses so to speak and new enjoyment of food and eating and enjoying things I used to feel tasted like cardboard (although this has brought the penalty of weight gain!). I was at an open air concert on Saturday and there was a man in front of me smoking a huge cigar and the smoke was drifting my way and normally pacifist me so felt like head-butting him as it smelled disgusting :ninja:Can't believe I inflicted my own smokey smell on people for over 20 years without even realising:blush:

compo

Veteran
Coming up for 7 years for me after smoking for over 40 years. I have to confess that I still like the smell of a lit cigarette when being near someone who is smoking, but not a stale one. It always amazes me when I am sitting on a bus and someone gets on who has been smoking whilst at the bus stop. You can smell them the length of the bus away. That alone would stop me from ever considering starting again.

My reason for quitting was simple. I was on a dating site and had listed myself as a non smoker. When I started chatting online and over the phone to the lady I eventually married, who had specified she wanted a non smoker, and before we physically met, I knew I had to quit. That gave me the incentive, and Champix and NHS support gave me the means.

I will never smoke again. With all the restrictions now on smokers it is more hassle to smoke than not to!

toeknee

Über Member
Well done Andy, best thing you could have done, I was 3years quit on July 11th, and I feel a lot better for it, I never thought I would do it, but get in the right mindset and that helps a lot. I know hate the smell, and steer clear of anyone smoking, so the smell doesn't go on my clothes, it actually embarrasses me now to think of the horrid smell and bad breath I put people through, I have since realised why work colleagues would take a step back when talking to me. YUCK

Congratulations and keep it up..^_^

Tony

Alan Carr's book is the proverbial dogs ....................... It is Brilliant

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Well done. Keep going you won't regret giving up when you can get up hills and not be as out of breath. Pull up at the side of another rider puffing and panting and you are breathing through your nose cos they are a smoker.

The GF and I gave up in Feb 2010. It, certainly, helped that we both gave up together and both encouraged the other when one of weakened. First holiday away from family was the time for the first wobble but the idea of having to go through the stopping again convinced to keep going.

We also didn't want the granddaughters to see us as smokers. They hate the smell at their aunties house but the eldest who's 6 can't remember us smoking/

Keep going. If ever you feel the urge to try one get yourself on here and someone will talk you out of it.

I would never ever be critical of some one who smokes. As an ex smoker I know how hard it was to give up. The rewards are amazing but getting rid of the weed can be a nightmare. It has to one of the most cunning traps ever invented. My best wishes go to all who have given up. The fact you have done so shows how strong you are. To those still trying I suggest Alan Carr's book. Read it and you will see how the brainwashing and the nicotine drug itself work. Remember every day stopped means you getting faster and stronger on the bike. Leaving those self righteous, sanctimonious people who have never smoked in my wake is always a huge pleasure, and trust me there have been many...:hyper:

5+ years clean for me now, still chuffed to bits that I gave up smoking and I haven't missed it for a milisecond. After smoking in the womb and heavy duty passive smoking for all my childhood I was smoking every day by age 11 and on 20 a day by the age of 16. I took up rolling my own because I thought it would slow me down, that was 1982. I just got good at rolling ...

I count giving up smoking amongst the very best things I have ever done.

Top Bottom