Centaur groupset.. who likee?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
I've got a Centaur chain and hubs ...

Veloce casette and front shifter

all else xenon

sobs

OP
OP
I am Spartacus

I am Spartacus

Über Member
The 11 speed Chorus setup is winning me over for the Nero with the Newton anatomical oversize bars ( as per the tip)
As the postal order from pater has not yet arrived in the post, I still have time to mull it all over.........................

prices have gone high over the last 18 months, when I have checked back in time in C+, but the Ribble still has the charm of a good buy... especially when I have seen nondescript Raleighs going for £3.5k.... no way man... but no offence if you have one

I am Spartacus said:
The 11 speed Chorus setup is winning me over for the Nero with the Newton anatomical oversize bars ( as per the tip)
As the postal order from pater has not yet arrived in the post, I still have time to mull it all over.........................

prices have gone high over the last 18 months, when I have checked back in time in C+, but the Ribble still has the charm of a good buy... especially when I have seen nondescript Raleighs going for £3.5k.... no way man... but no offence if you have one

I think you'd be crazy to get the Nero so well specced with Chorus and then have Khamsin wheels on it. I'd upgrade the wheels or if costs don't permit use Centaur and put that extra £400 towards better wheels, saddle, seatpost, tyres etc.

Tollers

woohoo

Veteran
Don't forget that if you go for 11 speed you'll need the special Campagnolo UT-CN300 Chain Tool 11. An absolute snip at £113.01 (including 15% discount) from Ribble!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...

woohoo

Veteran
youngoldbloke said:
Park tools now make one http://www.totalcycling.com/index.php/product/TL_PARK_11SP_CHAIN_TOOL.html?action=currency&id=GBP
- and so do Ice Toolz - http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=22451 £18.95 - so 11 speed is rapidly becoming an affordable (?) option.

Not quite! If you read the Park Tools description, it says

•The CT-11 will not install or remove chain rivets, its sole function is to peen and secure the end of the Campagnolo 11 speed connecting rivet
•The Park Tool CT-4.2 Master Chain Tool is used for rivet installation and removal

So that £49.04 spend for the CT-11 only does part of the job. You have to fork out another £62.98 (from ProBikeKit) and then carry both around with you :tongue:

woohoo said:
Not quite! If you read the Park Tools description, it says

So that £49.04 spend for the CT-11 only does part of the job. You have to fork out another £62.98 (from ProBikeKit) and then carry both around with you :tongue:

Well. I run 11 speed on my Scott. I bought the Park CT-11 for "peening" for £39.99 from Fawkes Cycles and use it in conjunction with my standard chain splitter (£10 lifeline jobby). I believe the icetools is just a splitter and not a peener, standard splitters seem to work fine for me.

In case of emergencies, i have a 10speed SRAM powerlink that apparently works pretty well (not needed to test it myself yet), although i'd regard that as a temporary solution to finish the ride. There is no way you'd want to carry around the peening tool. It's a big bugger.

woohoo

Veteran
Tollers said:
In case of emergencies, i have a 10speed SRAM powerlink that apparently works pretty well (not needed to test it myself yet), although i'd regard that as a temporary solution to finish the ride. There is no way you'd want to carry around the peening tool. It's a big bugger.

Agreed.

There are 11 speed links starting to appear in the US (see below) but until they are available here, I'd rather face (and pay for!) a broken chain on an 10 speed than a 11 set-up.

PS This US site seem to have an 11 speed link.

http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='0339-11'

They claim
Please note 5.9mm SRAM, Shimano and Wippermann connector links may jam 11 speed Campagnolo front deraillers when climbing.

beancounter

My two Lemonds have, respectively, Record/Chorus and Veloce groupsets. Both work very well.

As I have no desire to move to 11-speed I have chosen Centaur carbon to go on my soon-to-be-built Colnago C50. I'm sure it'll be absolutely fine.

bc

OP
OP
I am Spartacus

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Thanx for inputs.. poss reverting back to Centaur carbon ut 10 speed on reflection..
the stock khamsins will stay as ordered... but
dt swiss rr1850 from CRC or somewhere in white look a good match and have not seen any bad press about those.

I had a good look at a Spesh s works frame this morning which in itself had a ticket of £1900... nice tho' but that would be a step too far for my bikeability.

Top Bottom