Centaur groupset.. who likee?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JsfWitney

Fitted on my Wilier - it's superb (10 speed). Gear shifts are sharp, easy and light compared to my older Veloce / Mirage / Xenon bits on my commuter. It looks lovely, I really like the skeleton brakes. More than good enough for me.

MajorMantra

Centaur works well for me. Initially I thought something was off because of odd noises but I'm now convinced that was paranoia and it's perfectly normal. Shifting, by the way, is excellent and reliable. One of the things I like most about the Campag stuff is the way you can dump multiple gears (i.e. move to smaller cogs) for sprinting or when you crest a hill.

Ribble did a decent job of setting mine up with one glaring exception which is this:

ribblecableguide2of2.jpg

Otherwise, everything was fine.

Matthew

OP
OP
I am Spartacus

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Cheers M, for the 'spot the mistake'.... cool .. methinks I would want to pickup in person.. as rethinking the nero with chorus carbon 11 speed compact but now nudging the guts of 2200 without any wheels to shout about

BigSteev

I've been running Centaur (carbon non-compact) on my Condor for 18 months now without any problems that I can recall. I have now swapped the calipers for something lighter and more bling, but the Centaur front one is now doing stopping duty on my Plug.

OP
OP
I am Spartacus

I am Spartacus

Über Member
That Nero of yours... must be not far off 7kg?
With carbon 11 speed Chorus ... I have used bike builder to get it under the magic 2k mark and I reckon the weight with pedals is under 7kg but not included air inside the tyres.
Dilemma as to whether to stick by my local shop for a Tarmac sl who have done me good ... or be seduced.............

I am Spartacus said:
That Nero of yours... must be not far off 7kg?
With carbon 11 speed Chorus ... I have used bike builder to get it under the magic 2k mark and I reckon the weight with pedals is under 7kg but not included air inside the tyres.
Dilemma as to whether to stick by my local shop for a Tarmac sl who have done me good ... or be seduced.............

7kg for the Nero? My uber-light Scott with Super Record is just over 7kg (using bathroom scales). I think bike builder is being pretty optimistic. What wheels/finishing kit are you looking at?

OP
OP
I am Spartacus

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Left it with the Khamsins for the moment. I would trust that they do not melt going thru puddles.
I agree that judging the weight on bike builder is not to be trusted.... but the Nero frame is quoted at 1.050kg

woohoo

Veteran
I'm another happy Centaur user. I know handlebars are a personal thing but the only problem I had was in matching the new Centaur levers to the existing handlebars. The previous Ergoshifts were fine with my Bontrager VR bars but I couldn't get happy with the Ultrashifts on these bars. After swapping the bars to Deda Newton shallow bars everything was fine.

(There were some comments last year about sloppy shifts to smaller rear cogs but I think Campag have cured this by fitting a stronger spring in the rear mech – didn't affect me, I'm still using my Xenon rear mech without any problems!)

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Have Veloce on my Ribble. In 27 months have only once needed to tweak cable tension for front changer. Perfectly set up from the box.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've been using an Athena groupset for 11 years and it has been great up until the end of 2009 when I broke the front mech. Athena is the groupset which became Daytona which became Centaur.

I say - go for it (if you can't afford Chorus or Record :wacko:)!

Top Bottom