Groupset with downtube shifters?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deejayen

Veteran
What are the options these days for building a bike with downtube shifters?

Are any of the current groupsets from Shimano or Campag compatible with them?

If not, what's the newest and most readily available stuff, and what are the maximum number of gears (eg 9 speed, 10 speed etc)?

winjim

Smash the cistern
No personal experience but it's my understanding that bar end or TT shifters have the same internals as DT shifters, so with a few extra parts you can build a perfectly good frankenshifter. I think the problem might come with the tiny pull on the higher speed gearsets and being able to manually change with that level of precision.

si_c

Guru
Depends whether you want to use friction shifting or indexed shifting, if the former then it's relatively easy as you can use any shifter with any derailleurs for any number of gears, it's largely irrelevant.

I've used a set of Simplex friction shifters with Shimano 105 11 speed derailleurs shifting over a 10 speed rear cassette very successfully.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I think you'll struggle. Shimano made DT shifters upto 10 speed I believe (Indexed). If you are wanting more then you are looking at friction using old shifters. Indexed Shimano shifters can be switched to friction. You could still buy a new 9 speed groupset and hunt down some Shimano Indexed shifters on ebay. They do have some 'non-groupset shifters' available. I bought some new Shimano SIS downtube 8 speed shifters a few years back. You need to hunt about to find them, then think about the rest of the groupset as you can still get lower end groupsets in 8 and 9 speed.

Be aware, don't buy Dura Ace 8 7400 series speed shifters as they only work with Dura Ace 7400 mechs - the only Shimano groupset that did that. All other 8-10 speed groupsets are mix and match except 7400. PS it's also hideously expensive second hand now.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I think you'll struggle. Shimano made DT shifters upto 10 speed I believe (Indexed). If you are wanting more then you are looking at friction using old shifters. Indexed Shimano shifters can be switched to friction. You could still buy a new 9 speed groupset and hunt down some Shimano Indexed shifters on ebay. They do have some 'non-groupset shifters' available. I bought some new Shimano SIS downtube 8 speed shifters a few years back. You need to hunt about to find them, then think about the rest of the groupset as you can still get lower end groupsets in 8 and 9 speed.

Be aware, don't buy Dura Ace 8 7400 series speed shifters as they only work with Dura Ace 7400 mechs - the only Shimano groupset that did that. All other 8-10 speed groupsets are mix and match except 7400. PS it's also hideously expensive second hand now.

If you buy Dura Ace 9 speed bar end shifters. The part including the lever is exactly the same as down tube. You just need the mounts on the down tube They can be bought brand new. No need to go ebay route.

Last edited:

southcoast

Über Member
Could try some sunrace 9 speed down tube shifters, should work with a nine speed shimano or sunrace rear derailleur?

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-shifters/sunrace-r91-9-spd-down-tube-shifters-braze-on-pair/

Last edited:
Top Bottom