Groupset upgrade - which cassette?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andynic

Currently running Sora 9 speed (11-32 cassette and 50/34 chainrings), and have purchased a 105 R7000 11spd groupset (got a REALLY good deal!)

BUT, it came with a 11-28 cassette and has 52/36 crankset (short cage rear derailleur - max 30 cassette).

I use the 32 regualry as my area is quite hilly, if I fit an 11-30 is there a big jump to the 30 (from 32), considering the change from a 50/34 to 52/36 crank..?

Would it be advisable to swap the rear derailleur to a medium so i could fit a 32 later...?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It'll probably work with your existing RD, the recommended specs by Shimano usually have some leeway.
Try it.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Checkout the sheldon brown gear calculator select gear inches as the output and input the two combos you are interested in comparing, then go compare!

Joffey

Big Dosser
The cheapest option is replace your rear mech - I'm sure the long cage mech will accommodate a 52/36 with a 32 cassette.

Nebulous

Guru
I struggled with that set-up on big hills or long hilly rides and changed both, the RD and the cassette for a 11-32. I found a noticeable difference going from a compact 50/34 to a semi-compact 52/36.

If it is a new groupset you have bought you could sell the short cage on which should largely cover the cost of the medium cage.

rivers

How far can I go?
I'm running an 11-32 cassette on my my gravel bike with an r7000 short cage derailleur. Shifts perfectly- but will invalidate your warranty

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Currently running Sora 9 speed (11-32 cassette and 50/34 chainrings), and have purchased a 105 R7000 11spd groupset (got a REALLY good deal!)

BUT, it came with a 11-28 cassette and has 52/36 crankset (short cage rear derailleur - max 30 cassette).

I use the 32 regualry as my area is quite hilly, if I fit an 11-30 is there a big jump to the 30 (from 32), considering the change from a 50/34 to 52/36 crank..?

Would it be advisable to swap the rear derailleur to a medium so i could fit a 32 later...?
Yes because to get an equivalent gear to your 34-32, you need to be 36-34, not just 36-32.

whilst a short cage RD will almost certainly cope with a 32T large sprocket it will almost certainly struggle with 34T .

If you are sticking with the 52-36 crankset, I would seriously consider selling the RD & cassette as new (better price than using it a bit) and then get a miche primato cassette, maybe 12-34 or 13-34, so you have less gaps than an 11-34. 52-12 is fairly similar to 50-11, 52-13 a tad lower geared

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/produc...5t-and-16t-start-and-21t-to-34t-final-postion

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Was it really that good of a deal now that you might have to buy a new cassette 11-32 and a new rear derailleur to accommodate such cassette?
yeabut, he can flog of the unused new ones he doesnt need,,,,

Top Bottom