Center Parcs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave Lester

Hi, I'm off to center parcs (Sherwood) next week with the family.

I'll be taking my own bikes and the young uns. trailer.

I simply wondered if anyone had any advice/tips/tricks.

thanks

Dave

Globalti

Legendary Member
Lock your bikes up. Take plenty of household stuff like bog rolls, salt, pepper, sugar, dishwash liquid, bin bags etc and as much food as you can carry.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
We went to Sherwood last year, loved it - I took my own bike.
Hate to disagree with Morty but do go on the death slide!!
There were a few offer on the booze but best to take your own....hic!

02GF74

Über Member
watch out for the peeps, that is 97.85 % of them that have not ridden a bike since they were 5 (I am referring to the grown ups).

terry huckle

I concur with most of the above. Standard Center Parc bikes are utility single gear types (think Amsterdam) and traffic jams can occur near the central complex as a result of inexpert handling.

merlinmagic

I live not far from Center Parcs. If you take your own bike there is a trail which runs round the back of the place which is pretty good if you have a MTB. If you want roads the A614 is a fave for me lots of hills that undulate for 15 miles or so.

On the booze front go to Tescos in Ollerton just off the A614, about 5 mins from Center Parcs by car, alternatively there is a Co-Op and a few basic shops (bakers etc) in Edwinstowe.

Can recommend White Post Farm for the little uns, our kids love it there. Sherwood Forest Park thing north of Edwinstowe is supposed to be good my wife took the kids recently and they enjoyed themselves.

The bikes at Center Parcs are pretty basic if you want anything half decent take your own bike. We found when we go the tandem bikes for our 7 year old work well and the trailer works well for our 4 year old.

Hope you have a great time.

MePower

Take a very good lock, and dont leave anything on like lights etc if unattended, as they WILL go walkies.

Bit late for you now, but have a look at one of the european sites instead of the UK. I've found them much cheaper to book (though this was last year when exchange rates were still reasonable). Ferry brought cost back up to something similar to the UK though.
Big thing (for us) was Holland - just seemed so much nicer and bikes (the bikes!!- everywhere). AND I can't remember coming into contact with any unpleasant/rude/ignorant locals at all. We much prefered it to a Uk Parc

its not cheap though..............

at all.

we could have had a week away in a Spanish package place for what we spent on the weekend at Thetford Centreparcs...........

And keep any good bikes inside at night.....they get pinched regularly

Cheddar George

oober member
Excellent plan User.
We only live an hour from the Longleat site and maximise the 4 day weekend break in the same way.

We only hire/take crappy old bikes. I would love to take the road bike and speed off around Wiltshire but the wife doesn't see family holidays that way.:hyper:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I dont live that far from there. Its not bad. The A614 isnt hilly, it just has bumps on it.
There are a few decent road rides around there, and a few good cafes.
Edwinstow(spelling right?) has a nice cafe, its the Sherwood Forest cafe. Its a good price, not far from Centre parks and its not that expensive. You take your bikes inside the middle bit, and you can sit out in that bit, or in the cafe. The people that run it are nice aswell.
Its nice around there, never been to Centre Parks though.

Brains

Legendary Member
The "Arrive early, stay late' rule definatly applies
Get there as early as possible, get your bikes if you are hiring (as queues later)
Check out all the events as depending on the age of the 'kids' (and big kids) things worth doing are:
The high ropes course
The Off road MTB course with instructor
The field archery
Meals at the coutry club (book up babysitter before you arrive)
Fencing
Falconary
and of course the pool

Some girls love the spa, which can be one for the first or last day as you can spend an entire day there (subject to husband being prepared to look after the kids in the pool all day....)

Top Bottom