Central America & Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
I'm extremely tempted by a tour of Central America. The guide says that a MTB is necessary as a lot of the route is on unsurfaced roads. I don't have a MTB - I've a tourer (Galaxy) and a hybrid. I was thinking about perhaps just getting some "knobblies" and using one of those bikes (hybrid perhaps). I take it a hybrid with cross country tyres on would be more than adequate? Both bikes currently have Schwlabe Marathon 700 x 32 on.

Also anyone been to Central America touring? The itinerary looks really good (Maya ruins & pyramids etc).

willem

Über Member
I have never cycled there, but from all the reports I think the advice to get a sturdy 26 inch wheeled bike is sound. I would personally go for something like an unsuspended Thorn Sherpa or a Fahrradmanufaktur T400 rather than a mtb as these are not always too sturdy either.
Now for the bikes that you have. Crucial is to fit the very widest tyres (remove the mudguards) to give you more traction, but also more comfort and protection for the bike itself. 42 mm tyres might just do it, but wider is better. As for the tyres themselves, get Schwalbe Marathon XR (that is what I would do), or possibly the Marathon Extreme. If your Galaxy has a narrow handlebar, get a really wide one (On One Midge, Nitto Noodle ?). And think hard about your rear wheel. You may want to replace it by a 48 spoke tandem wheel with heavy duty rim. You wil need very sturdy racks, and take some spare nuts and bolts, and locktite.
Willem

andym

Über Member
If you're going on a supported tour it might be worth taking a spare tyre just in case.

As Willem says, get the widest tyres you can.

I think a 48-spoke rear wheel is a bit over the top, but if you want to get a tough rear wheel you could get Spa Cycles to build you a wheel with Rigida Sputnik rims and Sapim Strong spokes.

willem

Über Member
OH yes, always take a spare folding tyre (plus a couple of tubes). The Marathon XR comes in steel bead and kevlar bead. I would fit the steel bead, and take a spare kevlar.
Willem

andym

Über Member
Oh and if you decide to take the hybrid it would be worth investing in decent grips as well as bar ends.

If you have rigid forks you'll want to get a bit of protection against vibration (Specialized BG gloves are also a good idea). Oury lock on grips have nice thick soft rubber. Some people also put thick bar tape on their bar ends to give some protection against vibration when riding on 'washboard' surfaces.

andym

Über Member
Oh and if you decide to take the hybrid it would be worth investing in decent grips as well as bar ends.

If you have rigid forks you'll want to get a bit of protection against vibration (Specialized BG gloves are also a good idea). Oury lock on grips have nice thick soft rubber. Some people also put thick bar tape on their bar ends to give some protection against vibration when riding on 'washboard' surfaces.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
if you leave the coastal littoral the gradients, even on the main roads, are horrifying. Brakes have to be bombproof (and you'll need spare blocks), and gears low beyond anything you might think reasonable here. Trucks and buses crawl up the hills at just above walking pace, and go down switchback roads in first gear. Think 1 in 5.

This may be a thing of the past, but, if you're taking your own bike, 27 inch wheels might be the norm, rather than 700. And steel (as in frames and racks and handlebars) is good. You can weld it.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Thanks for the advice so far. It'll be in Guatemala & Belize early next year. It's a supported tour so no major worry with panniers etc. Might be an excuse to actually add a MTB to my collection!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
well I imagine that you will be going to San Lucas Toliman, Lago Atitlan, Panajachel, Solala and Chichicastenango. Gradients. Spare brake blocks. Low gears. Very low gears.

I wonder what Belize is like now? When I went you had to take a machete if you were not on the only highway.

Top Bottom