Central London Circuits-for-Covid19

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Whibz

Exercise once a day - I’m going to go out on my Brompton folder and do a circuit of a few miles. I’d like a few different ones. Who has a decent circuit to recommend, starting Zone One/City?

vickster

Legendary Member
Just get on your bike and pedal. It'll be pretty flat wherever you go. Where are you starting from, i.e. Where's Home ?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Finsbury, Clerkenwell and Bloomsbury are all interesting areas to explore if you appreciate history and old buildings. I wouldn't aim for riding circuits on the main roads though. It's much more pleasant to just have a nice random pootle down all the back streets and little alleys, just making it up as you go. The only great thing about the virus situation is the traffic is down to post-Christmas levels, but without the cold crappy weather, so I have been out several times in the last week after finishing work.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Finsbury, Clerkenwell and Bloomsbury are all interesting areas to explore if you appreciate history and old buildings. I wouldn't aim for riding circuits on the main roads though. It's much more pleasant to just have a nice random pootle down all the back streets and little alleys, just making it up as you go. The only great thing about the virus situation is the traffic is down to post-Christmas levels, but without the cold crappy weather, so I have been out several times in the last week after finishing work.

This is actually similar to my route as im from the Harringay area - though i cut through turnpike lane before Finsbury park, then onto holloway road, old street - swing back around to Angel Islington for a 5min breather then back home almost the same way. shooting straight down seven sisters road instead of returning to turnpike lane. Its roughly around 16miles.

its got a few small inclines, lots of starts and stops (due to traffic lights) and straights where you can absolutely bomb it if you have the energy. Im not so much for exploring - Id rather just get it over and done with so i can get home, have a shower and relax :laugh:

This is the second day ive stayed at home and did a little weight training instead. Ive been doing my route since saturday and my legs havent been able to keep up with the energetic pace where my mind is at. :cry::cry::cry:

The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.

Lots of options for routes. You could even cut through stoke newington then shoot straight across to regents park from old street. half loop regents park, exit at camden town then decide where else to go.

Last edited:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
If you've got that much excess energy to burn off you can always venture in the other direction up into Muswell Hill and Ally Pally instead! :laugh:
Some nice hills around there, and then you could always divert across to Highgate and try the West Hill and Swains lane.:whistle:

Reactions: GM
Just do your own thing keep it random don’t share and therefore potentially make it a regular for many.
this exactly. last thing we want is an internet sensation/informally arranged meet-up. sod that. central london is very quiet at the moment - was there two days ago - just do your own thing.
Bike the ideal thing of course for getting exercise alone, weaving away elsewhere if you see any concentration of folk. And getting semi briefly lost in london and discovering unknown streets is one of its delights.
ride safe, ride alone.

MonsterEnergy

Government are talking about putting even more restrictions down, as it's been reported that people are going out more than once for excercise. Hope this dosen't hapen, otherwise we will be stuck for a long period of time

Gunk

Guru
I’ve been using my Brompton rather than my road bike to potter around the city, it’s just easier and a bit more robust a coping with state of the Oxford roads.

I’ve discovered all sorts of places I never knew existed, it’s also quite nice to just pop out a leisurely pace for an hour, I don’t feel the need to wear any cycling clothing or shoes on a Brompton, jeans and trainers work fine.

I’ve been using my Brompton rather than my road bike to potter around the city, it’s just easier and a bit more robust a coping with state of the Oxford roads.

View attachment 512954

I’ve discovered all sorts of places I never knew existed, it’s also quite nice to just pop out a leisurely pace for an hour, I don’t feel the need to wear any cycling clothing or shoes on a Brompton, jeans and trainers work fine.
don't you carry any tools/gear/food?
I never go out on my brommie (5 speed) without taking the instructions for getting the back wheel on and off.
And I also need a full size spanner for that.

Gunk

Guru
A mobile phone is all I need, I could bus back home or my wife could always pop out and pick me up.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
it's been reported that people are going out more than once for excercise. Hope this dosen't hapen, otherwise we will be stuck for a long period of time

I go out as often as I want, both on foot and on a bike. I just don't make a big song and a dance about it. Given that I'm not stupid enough to record rides on Strava, or take selfies in close proximity to anyone else then tweet or facebook about it afterwards, in reality there is nothing that anyone can do to try and enforce any "once a day" nonsense.

MonsterEnergy

I go out as often as I want, both on foot and on a bike. I just don't make a big song and a dance about it. Given that I'm not stupid enough to record rides on Strava, or take selfies in close proximity to anyone else then tweet or facebook about it afterwards, in reality there is nothing that anyone can do to try and enforce any "once a day" nonsense.
Well i would watch it....You don't want to be sitting inside ALL day. Government say once a day and we should respect government especially in this time of Crisis

Top Bottom