Central Scotland Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
magnatom said:
Oh, I should add, it's looking like Sunday the 29th is the preferred date. Is everyone happy with that?
Sunday the 29th suits me.;)

lazyfatgit

What about a start time and meeting place?

looking at the train timetable, i think the earliest i can make Linlithgow with minimum changes is 10:02. that's getting first train from Motherwell to Glasgow, cycle to Queen St, then the next Edinburgh train which stops at Linlithgow.

lazyfatgit said:
What about a start time and meeting place?

looking at the train timetable, i think the earliest i can make Linlithgow with minimum changes is 10:02. that's getting first train from Motherwell to Glasgow, cycle to Queen St, then the next Edinburgh train which stops at Linlithgow.
The back of 10 suits me, we're not going to have a problem with day light at that time of year (sunset circa 19:45), the train station is probably as good a place as any?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Excellent. Now all we need is for the weather to be nice.....:biggrin::smile:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
satans budgie said:
Almost frightened to ask, being another newbie who is just about able to hang off the back of a child on a BMX, could I express an interest and perhaps bring my Sirrus sport out for the day and give it ago? 30 to 35 miler would be a challenge to aim for. I’ll be the Michelin Man dressed by Aldi sounding like an asthmatic at the back.

Given that the route is a figure of eight, you could opt to do just one of the loops, but I am sure once you get going you'll be fine...

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
goo_mason said:
Sunday is better for me.

Now - how do I get to the ride via public transport ? Would the Edinburgh-based crew with no vehicular transport of their own want to meet up and travel on the train together ?

And hope there is no one else wanting wanting to take their bike on that train, I wish Scotrail would increase the number of cycle spaces, on their trains. I am planning on taking the train and SWMBO is thinking of coming along too...

Just had a look, the 10 O'clock from Waverly get in at 10:18, the next one is the 10:34 which get in at 10:53 which would mean keep the others waiting. An exchange of phone numbers (by PM) before hand would be a good idea. Day returns cost £6.70 or £11.60 to sit in First Class;)

MrRidley

To all who are coming from glasgow there's a train at 9.30 getting in at 10.02, i was thinking of getting this one but dont know how many spaces they will have available, and having never travelled with bike on train i dont know if you have to book it or not, if we know how many are going from glasgow we could try and arrange something,
btw it's £9.90 return.

lazyfatgit

bhoyjim, this is the train I intend to get. I phoned scotrail today to enquire about cycle provision. Unfortunately there are only 4 places available, and they won't, or at least the guy i spoke to, accept bookings.

It is possible to travel to Larbert and change there for Linlithgow, so if it's too busy this may be an option, but it does take longer.

I agree with Hairy Jock, someone should have a contact number to confirm when anyone may be delayed.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
magnatom said:
Mmmm. Not sure I'd bring it if it is raining though.....:biggrin:
What ? :rolleyes: Rain ? :rolleyes: In central Scotland at the end of March ? :rolleyes::ohmy:

Snow more like :rolleyes: .... so you'll be OK with the noo bike :rolleyes:

I might make it too - and have room for 2 other bikes on a rack, if required (from Embra)

MrRidley

lazyfatgit said:
bhoyjim, this is the train I intend to get. I phoned scotrail today to enquire about cycle provision. Unfortunately there are only 4 places available, and they won't, or at least the guy i spoke to, accept bookings.

It is possible to travel to Larbert and change there for Linlithgow, so if it's too busy this may be an option, but it does take longer.

I agree with Hairy Jock, someone should have a contact number to confirm when anyone may be delayed.

OK so travel will be a problem with a few of us all trying to get on the same train, anyone got ideas on how to get round this?

Top Bottom