Central Scotland Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavintc

Guru
There is little if any restriction on bikes on the Edinburgh-Queen St train. On a Sunday, it will have 3 carriages, with a total of 2 bike hanging spaces. Each will take at least 3 bikes and I have seen 4 bike on one rack. The train will have 6 doors, you will want to get on at door 2 or 5 (at the rear of the lead carriage or the front of the rear carriage).

I take this train every day and have never been told to get off because the rack is too full.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
lazyfatgit said:
bhoyjim, this is the train I intend to get. I phoned scotrail today to enquire about cycle provision. Unfortunately there are only 4 places available, and they won't, or at least the guy i spoke to, accept bookings.

bhoyjim said:
OK so travel will be a problem with a few of us all trying to get on the same train, anyone got ideas on how to get round this?

The only time I have had a problem with getting at the bike rack on a train was when there was a baby buggy in the way. The parents wouldn't move it until we told them we had a reservation (Ok we did but there was no where else we could put the bike, whereas they could fold up the buggy). I have seen up to five bikes in the space which is meant for two.

gavintc said:
There is little if any restriction on bikes on the Edinburgh-Queen St train. On a Sunday, it will have 3 carriages, with a total of 2 bike hanging spaces. Each will take at least 3 bikes and I have seen 4 bike on one rack. The train will have 6 doors, you will want to get on at door 2 or 5 (at the rear of the lead carriage or the front of the rear carriage).

I take this train every day and have never been told to get off because the rack is too full.

Just don't scratch Mag new bike... ;)

gavintc said:

That's my experience too I've only once been refused on a train and that was in Perth, I've never had a problem in Fife, Edinburgh or Glasgow and have often seen more bikes than space. I've not been on a busy train in a while however.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Hairy Jock said:
Oh bugger that's the weather jinxed, again :biggrin::smile::laugh:

Sorry! :ohmy:

I'll be coming through on the train as well. Of course I won't be wrapping the bike in bubble wrap! How silly. I've just installed flame throwers instead to discourage anyone thinking of placing their bike on mine....:biggrin:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Oh - the bubblewrap is for the bike :rolleyes::blush: :wacko::ohmy:

If it's not going to be a problem taking so many bikes on the train, I won't need to bring the motor+bikeracks ??

- is there any way the train staff could be contacted and forewarned that there might be 6-8 bikes on this train ?

- would it make any (favourable) difference ?

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Ok roll call, so who is not here? Humm, anyone see Tete recently, or is his misses stopping him from coming to play...

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Hairy Jock said:
Ok roll call, so who is not here? Humm, anyone see Tete recently, or is his misses stopping him from coming to play...

I still can't get over how much Mrs Tete looked like a miniature Catherine Tait :smile: (And if she ever reads that it'll be ME for the rolling pin next time she sees me !!)

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Regards the phone numbers, I'm happy to take charge of that. I have quite a few on my phone already. So if anyone wants to pass their mobile number on to me, just PM me.

Goo, I'm praying for ice. I know how much you like getting close and personal with it....:smile::rolleyes:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
goo_mason said:
BTW - what are the chances of the 29th being free of frost and snow, given the current long-running winter theme in the UK ?

Don't you start, it is bad enough Mag jinxing it...:smile:

Just don't use the P word as well...

Top Bottom