Centre lock wheel without rotor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaijintendo

Veteran
Hello Peeps,

I have a Shimano Centrelock disc wheel (WH-RX05) that I abandoned a while ago after a bunch of spokes were chewed out by a derailleur issue.

I stuck in some new spokes, but then realised I had no concept of how to safely true the thing, and opted to get a new wheel. Great story.

Anyways, I am thinking of resurrecting it for my turbo trainer. I am considering ripping off the rotor to have one less thing to worry about during the process. Can you run a centrelock without the rotor? Will it melt out the side and pour onto the kitchen floor?

I guess the alternative is to just acquire a cheap 10 speed capable wheel off gumtree.

Thanks all!

Levo-Lon

Guru
The centre lock only holds the disc..so if you dont need a brake it will be fine..

OP
OP
gaijintendo

gaijintendo

Veteran
The centre lock only holds the disc..so if you dont need a brake it will be fine..
Much obliged, I have never seen behind the rotor before. If it exposes any bearings or introduces a means for ingress of water - that's not a huge concern on account of it being an indoors thing.

I figured that the nut being proud of it, it wouldn't introduce any problems with sticking it on.

Much obliged.

OP
OP
gaijintendo

gaijintendo

Veteran
... et voilà

One other thing, if it is of any interest to anyone, you can stick the fascia that holds the rotor in place back on after removing the rotor, so it's all sealed essentially with splines for the rotor exposed.

Attachments

• IMG_20160908_135355.jpg
    IMG_20160908_135355.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Top Bottom