Centring a wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrynCP

Über Member
Been trying to help somebody with a Giant Defy 5.

Took out the rear wheel (quick release, vertical drop outs) and then tried to put it back in but it was rubbing the pads.

All my other bikes the wheel just drops in and pretty much "self centres". However, on this one:
  • With the bike upside down, the wheel can rock in the drop outs, as though one side is higher than the other
  • The drive none drive side chainstay visibly moves about 0.5 inch side to side if you put light pressure on it
  • With the bike up the right way, on the wheels, you can still rock the bike over the wheel, so you have to centre it yourself, holding the wheel where you want it using the brake pads as a guide, then close the lever to lock it in that position.
Is all that normal, just my other bikes are different?

The bike has done less than 50 miles from new and to my knowledge hasn't hit any particularly bad pot holes or kerbs etc.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
My old abused racer was a bit like that. None of the newish bikes I've worked on have been. Are you sure it's not been bent somehow? I can ask a defy owner but I expect one will be along soon!

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
Thanks.

Its not my bike, but I don't believe its been bent. Actually there was an accident a month or so ago where somebody fell on the bike and pushed it against a radiator at home, but didn't think it had done any damage at time.

I only took out wheel to show how to fix a puncture and now feel guilty as they won't ride it out of fear the wheel locks against brakes. They also believe we damaged it doing what we did.

Will suggest getting a shop to check it. It has accidental damage cover as part of bike theft insurance I believe.

Tojo

Über Member
if there is misalignment its possible that it could cause the axle to snap under load so be careful until you find out what the cause is....:thanks:

screenman

Legendary Member
Are you sure the brakes have not gone to one side? Is the wheel centred close in to the bottom bracket.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Thanks.

Its not my bike, but I don't believe its been bent. Actually there was an accident a month or so ago where somebody fell on the bike and pushed it against a radiator at home, but didn't think it had done any damage at time.

I only took out wheel to show how to fix a puncture and now feel guilty as they won't ride it out of fear the wheel locks against brakes. They also believe we damaged it doing what we did.

Will suggest getting a shop to check it. It has accidental damage cover as part of bike theft insurance I believe.

the joys of trying to help somebody

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'd put the wheel in, press down on the saddle and close the skewer then centre the brake to that position, that way it cannot move if you hit a bump.
If this makes the wheel look on the skew take it back to the shop, you should not rely on the quick release to hold the wheel upright.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I don't like the sound of the chain stay moving half an inch with 'light pressure'.
My Defy 5 certainly doesn't do that. Are you sure nothing has broken?
I'd take it back to the shop it was bought from, seeing as it's only done 50 miles from new.
I had a creaking fork on my first Defy 5 after about 100 miles. The LBS cured it by replacing the complete bike on Giants advice. I thought that was pretty good service.
Replacement bike has been fine.

Last edited:

Tim Hall

I don't like the sound of the chain stay moving half an inch with 'light pressure'.
My Defy 5 certainly doesn't do that. Are you sure nothing has broken?
I'd take it back to the shop it was bought from, seeing as it's only done 50 miles from new.
I had a creaking fork on my first Defy 5 after about 100 miles. The LBS cured it by replacing the complete bike on Giants advice. I thought that was pretty good service.
Replacement bike has been fine.
I'd second that. The moving chain stay sounds as dodgy as a dodgy thing.

Top Bottom