Century a month clubs anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob S

I was pretty shortly going to bring up the subject of the 2008 Century A Month Challenge in the BR chat thread.

When BR started up I did say that the 'franchise' would be considering a new home for 2008 due to the things that we felt strongly about at the time. I'd like it to be wherever the majority of the contestants are posting now.

One thing the C+ software had over many board softwares is that edits to existing posts counted as new posts for the purposes of New Post markers on the index page and s o it was very easy to see when people had done a ride....that doesn't happen with BR :biggrin:

As for the rules....I have no idea what the metric rules are but I tried to make mine as clear as possible from the start 4-5 years ago and so the overall rule was on the first line....a single ride of 100.0 miles or more. The next line tried to stop people thinking that a 'single ride' meant literally non-stop with no refreshment breaks or repairs or get off to look round a town etc.
Early rules did specifically say that you couldn't return home mid-ride for repairs, food and a bit of telly watching...I personally do think there is big difference between doing a roadside repair/ cafe cuppa and repairing it in your garage or getting dinner at home midride but others might not and it's up to them I guess....I don't do that and nor do I do a 50 mile ride to work and then a 50 mile back and have to consider whether that is a century or not.

All the other rules regarding rollers and time limits have been there from the start. Over the years I don't remember having to make any other judgement on anyones queries other than someone who wanted to do the Dunwich Dynamo starting at 2100hrs on the last day of the month....after the time limits had already been established. I did need to clarify that the problem with that example was that it involved riding out side the month time limit boundaries...not that it was an overnight single ride.

So where do people think it best to host it?

longers

Legendary Member
Rob S said:
So where do people think it best to host it?

Here?

Rob S

My choices are...in no particular order...ACF, BR and here.....with invite threads on the two unsuccessful candidates.

OP
OP
redfox

redfox

Rob S said:
My choices are...in no particular order...ACF, BR and here.....with invite threads on the two unsuccessful candidates.

Hi Rob,

Not wishing to steal your thunder, but I cant stand the layout of BR and don't like ACF, but I do like the motivation the century a month clubs provide.

I consider this place home (despite the low to middling post count) and have no plans to use either of the above boards, hence the reason I decided to sound out the interest here.

I don't see why all three boards cant feature similar threads with individual members contributing to one, all or none of them as they see fit.

Sorry Rob, didn't occur to me that you were here on CC, wasn't intending to steal any thunder.

Just want to clarify I have no problems with your rules, they all make sense and perhaps what's most important is that the spirit of them is obvious - you'd have to invent a hundred rules to cater for every situation that somebody might create, so perhaps a simple set from which the intent is clear and which can be interpreted is easiest.
After all, there's no real prizes, no real judges or proofs required, anyone who really wants to cheat can do but the only person they're really cheating is themselves.

Like RedFox, I only post on here and see no reason why all three boards couldn't have similar challenges, although can see it would dilute it a bit perhaps : I remember the C+ Metric thread only having perhaps 30 of us who finished 2006 - a lot more started, many never got off the ground or failed in Jan/Feb/Mar, then at the end there was someone with nearly a hundred qualifying rides way ahead of the rest of us down to a few people at the other extreme who had done the minimum 12
- although if any of those who did the minimum 12 wouldn't have done it otherwise, set and achieved a personal goal via the challenge, then it was a big success.

I'd have done it again this year if Blind-Old-Goat-In-Mercedes hadn't knocked me off in January, have managed the metric in all other months whilst targetting a total-annual-mileage goal for the year.
I think the Imperial might just be a step too far though - done them most Summer months, but in January...brrr !

Rob S

andy_wrx said:
Sorry Rob, didn't occur to me that you were here on CC, wasn't intending to steal any thunder.

Just want to clarify I have no problems with your rules, they all make sense and perhaps what's most important is that the spirit of them is obvious - you'd have to invent a hundred rules to cater for every situation that somebody might create, so perhaps a simple set from which the intent is clear and which can be interpreted is easiest.
After all, there's no real prizes, no real judges or proofs required, anyone who really wants to cheat can do but the only person they're really cheating is themselves.

Like RedFox, I only post on here and see no reason why all three boards couldn't have similar challenges, although can see it would dilute it a bit perhaps

I don't think my thunder is being stolen...I haven't patented the idea and it's not like I have to do a heap of organising..just start two threads and ask a mod to sticky them!!:biggrin:

The rules are pretty simple I hope....far more than the first one I saw on the net that said a century was 90 miles and that you were allowed to miss a month so long as you rode an extra one the following month....but that's tthe Americans for you!!!

i'll probably follow rob to whichever forum as i can keep my "consecutives", but will probably copy and paste into any new ones that appear as i'm registered on all three forums, though i'd like to be able to get everything working on br, if thats were it ends up.
at present i seem to have trouble getting to the latest posts on the century chat, i'm told they don't exist!

Rob S said:
the first one I saw on the net that said a century was 90 miles and that you were allowed to miss a month so long as you rode an extra one the following month....but that's tthe Americans for you!!!

Jeez, but then I suppose their gallons are too small, and their tons, and they only come into a war halfway through, etc.

Mmm, I suppose fololowing that theme I could take my annual mileage, divide by 90 and say I've done lots of centuries this year :biggrin::thumbsup::biggrin:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I am saying nothing. Last year I said I would and then couldn't ride through most of January. So I might be doing this challenge, but if I was I couldn't possibly tell you.

Noodley

I did it this year. Until this month, when I am now injured with little chance of getting back on my bike for a century ride until next year :smile:

Oh poor me :blush:

Still, I can always plan for next year.

peekay76

I'm definitely game for giving this a go. There are months when I've got events planned that will count to this and in the other months it's a good intermidiate goal.

CotterPin

Oh goody - another challenge. I already have planned the Tour of Flanders, the Tour of Wessex, a trip up Mont Ventoux, and (maybe) the Dunwich for the first time in ages.

Top Bottom