Century Rides - FTP Target?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
Hi all,

Anyone know a good target percentage of FTP for century rides?

My Google fu is drawing nothing authoritative with people claiming anything from 60-90% FTP normalised power over five hours.

I had a big fail in keeping my power within the 60-70% range at IRonman Uk, one notable sprint at over 600W for example :rolleyes:. I want to improve on that this weekend.

I will have my power meter on, I will be looking at it, and I'm not racing because Ride London is a Sportive :okay:

S-Express

Having a target % is not the same as having one you can maintain. Which is probably why you can't find anything on google. Everyone is different and other factors like the wind and whether you are in a group or not will also affect it.

zizou

Veteran
Its not going to be a steady effort like a tt or a bike leg in a triathlon there will be big groups so your power is going to be fluctuating riding with them as well as the course itself. Your biggest power zone should be zone 1 in these groups but there will be spikes above your ftp too - dont worry about that unless you find yourself sitting above it for an extended time.

Use your power meter to pace the climbs and avoid going into the red there. But other than that dont fixate on the numbers

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
You cant pace the climbs on ride london, you have to go with the flow, too many bikes.
I rode it on a single speed bike last year, i wanted to keep a much higher speed on the hills just to keep the pedals moving, but had to resort to a very slow grind as everyone around me was spinning in a granny gear.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
I have received a target from TrainerRoad 70-85%, I'll go with that.

Cheers for your thoughts.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
'70-85%' is not really a target FTP, is it. The difference between maintaining 70% and maintaining 85% for 100 miles is huge.

It is for me. I will try to avoid going above or below these limits - I can't maintain a single steady number unless on the turbo.

S-Express

And now I have numbers from an authoritative source.

Problem?

The problem (as pointed out previously) is you still don't have a target. You have quite a large % range - which most people probably ride within anyway. So I don't really think you're any further forward.

huwsparky

Über Member
Hi all,

My Google fu is drawing nothing authoritative with people claiming anything from 60-90% FTP normalised power over five hours.

I had a big fail in keeping my power within the 60-70% range at IRonman Uk, one notable sprint at over 600W for example :rolleyes:. I want to improve on that this weekend.

I will have my power meter on, I will be looking at it, and I'm not racing because Ride London is a Sportive :okay:

So, what you should have learned from that Ironman leg is that you're not able to hold that percentage of FTP for the duration of the effort. No point asking anyone else, this is what you have already learned from what you're able to hold.

A power meter really is the Holly grail for long distance TT type efforts but I always hear people locally asking others what power they ride to, totally bizarre as there is nothing of any importance you can take from anyone else's powerfigures.

If I were you, I'd try and pre determine how long roughly your effort will be and have a look through your training peaks or whatever you use to get a base power figure to work off for the duration. If you've held say 200w for 5 and a half hours(and that's roughly how long your bike leg will take), use that figure in training and play about with it.

Basically, you've got a power meter and still turn up to race with no idea what you're doing. Nail down your numbers in training and you'll avoid falling on your arse when it counts. To be honest, if I didn't know what I was riding to I'd rather go off feel and would be pretty confident of being faster to boot.

BTW my power for ironman split is about 65% FTP. I can hold more but it costs me too much on the run so I don't.

Good luck :smile:

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
So, what you should have learned from that Ironman leg is that you're not able to hold that percentage of FTP for the duration of the effort. No point asking anyone else, this is what you have already learned from what you're able to hold.

Not really, no.

A power meter really is the Holly grail for long distance TT type efforts but I always hear people locally asking others what power they ride to, totally bizarre as there is nothing of any importance you can take from anyone else's powerfigures.

I haven't. There absolutely is something of importance to learn from talking FTP% with others, that is what makes power information comparable.

If I were you, I'd try and pre determine how long roughly your effort will be and have a look through your training peaks or whatever you use to get a base power figure to work off for the duration. If you've held say 200w for 5 and a half hours(and that's roughly how long your bike leg will take), use that figure in training and play about with it.

Yep, done that.

Basically, you've got a power meter and still turn up to race with no idea what you're doing.
Almost no idea, yes.

Nail down your numbers in training and you'll avoid falling on your arse when it counts. To be honest, if I didn't know what I was riding to I'd rather go off feel and would be pretty confident of being faster to boot.
Not as easy as it sounds. I've done rides off feel, not going to learn anything about riding to power by doing that again.

BTW my power for ironman split is about 65% FTP. I can hold more but it costs me too much on the run so I don't.

Good luck :smile:

What FTP% do you do for century rides?

Top Bottom