Century Rides - FTP Target?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

huwsparky

Über Member
Not really, no.

I haven't. There absolutely is something of importance to learn from talking FTP% with others, that is what makes power information comparable.

Yep, done that.

Almost no idea, yes.

Not as easy as it sounds. I've done rides off feel, not going to learn anything about riding to power by doing that again.

What FTP% do you do for century rides?
65% for ironman split. Have held over 70% for a 100 TT but the TT was obviously shorter and I didn't have to think about being in any shape for running after so it didn't really bother me pretty much falling off the bike in a heap after.

The part your not grasping here is that you can't compare your power to anyone else's. As someone further up the list eluded to, a guy he knows rides off 85%, don't know weather to believe that but fair play to him if he can, he has the ability to do it. By your logic if you try doing the same it'll make you better? It won't, I'm sorry, it just won't.

For me the difference in riding at 65% and 70% is massive over that time frame. It's pretty much 15w for say 4 - 5+ hours. That's enough of a percentage to take a ride from comfortable to very hard and sometimes maybe even impossible if not feeling it for me personally.

Like I said above, take your own power from a 5.5 to 6hour effort and work from there. It's ho everyone does it. You have to know your numbers and what you can hold.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
65% for ironman split. Have held over 70% for a 100 TT but the TT was obviously shorter and I didn't have to think about being in any shape for running after so it didn't really bother me pretty much falling off the bike in a heap after.

The part your not grasping here is that you can't compare your power to anyone else's. As someone further up the list eluded to, a guy he knows rides off 85%, don't know weather to believe that but fair play to him if he can, he has the ability to do it. By your logic if you try doing the same it'll make you better? It won't, I'm sorry, it just won't.

For me the difference in riding at 65% and 70% is massive over that time frame. It's pretty much 15w for say 4 - 5+ hours. That's enough of a percentage to take a ride from comfortable to very hard and sometimes maybe even impossible if not feeling it for me personally.

Like I said above, take your own power from a 5.5 to 6hour effort and work from there. It's ho everyone does it. You have to know your numbers and what you can hold.

Yeah, everyone does four or five six hour rides to figure out how much effort to do the first one.

Effort is comparable.

Your second paragraph has some weird straw man in. Sorry it just doesn't make sense.

Top Bottom