Ceramic rims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Bit of both I believe. The ceramic layer doesn't get worn away as quickly as alloy would, and it's rougher, so the brake blocks grip better IIRC.
You do need to use special brake blocks, as normal ones get abraded away quite rapidly.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
TheDoctor said:
Bit of both I believe. The ceramic layer doesn't get worn away as quickly as alloy would, and it's rougher, so the brake blocks grip better IIRC.
You do need to use special brake blocks, as normal ones get abraded away quite rapidly.

I see. Thanks Doc. Do you happen to know if Kool-Stop do them? It's one of my few brand loyalties...

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'd be surprised if they didn't - sure I've seen them reviewed somewhere.
*checks a few on-line bike shops*
Wiggle do KoolStop ceramic pads, but for V-brakes. I can't remember what brakes you have...

dodgy

I used to have them on an old MTB of mine, I seem to recall braking on them doesn't produce that horrible 'grey blood' that gets everywhere when you mend a puncture!

G-MAC

Yes they definetly last a lot longer than standard rims. I used ceramic compatible blocks at first then used standard cool stop pads. All good.

gwhite

Über Member
I have ceramic rims and use the specified Koolstop ceramic pads with these. Being so hard the rims will eat normal pads. My rims show no sign of wear after many years and it's a pity that they're so expensive.

Top Bottom