Certainly the Last one For the Road for Me!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theloafer

Legendary Member
I've just bought myself a new mount for the road; and at age 63, it's probably going to be my final purchase of a road bike!

Cube Agree GTC Pro.

P9240244.jpg

P9240243.jpg

Photos taken before fitting the new clip in pedals.
hey moss
this is my bike number 5 got it on sunday frrom this site ...^_^ brenda.jpg brenda 003.jpg

Berlinbybike

Moss,

my father retired at 58, bought his first hand-built and said that it would be his last one. He's had, I think, 4 others since (that's in 24 years) and really does wear them out, unlike most of us who don't do sufficient mileage. In that time he's moved to clipless pedals, and committed the apostacy of getting derailleurs (a die-hard hub gear man from the '50s when derailleurs really were rubbish), and even went STI on the new fancy aluminium jobby a short while ago. So I'm pretty sure the adage about old dogs and new tricks is nonsense, and I'm tired of the green banana joke he's been telling since he was about your age. He hasn't slowed down at all (maybe we were just slow to begin with). So look forward to the second half of your life on fast bikes. And that one is very, very nice.

I've just bought myself a new mount for the road; and at age 63, it's probably going to be my final purchase of a road bike!

Where is your optimism?

I was fortunate enough to meet Ron Beams on a number of occasions, and he was ordering custom frames built in his 80's and 90's!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm a big fan of Cubes and that's a nice one alright....

But don't sell yourself short. At 63 you probably have 2 or 3 more road bikes to get. My mother is 67 and just got a new one.
I was going ask if he wasn't going to buy another bike in the next 25 years!

I know people in their mid-70s who are still racing, and I met someone who said that an 85 year old joins him for 50 mile mid-week club runs to a cafe and back!

I intend to be still cycling in my 80s, if at all possible. If my balance isn't so great then, I'll buy a recumbent trike. If I can't get in and out of a recumbent, I'll buy a standard trike and if I can't cope with that I'll buy a tandem trike to ride with someone younger! (Hopefully, I'll eventually pop my clogs on a ride somewhere and not have to put up with a sedentary decline. If it happens on a forum ride, don't mourn for me - I will have died doing what I loved doing! :hello:)

ColinJ

hi moss
great bike almost got one of those but went for the cannondale synapse with sram apex ...it also had white tape but got the shop to change it as i knew it would be a pain to keep clean.. :laugh: and to break up all the black and white ...you can never have enough bikes mate.. :thumbsup: got 4 now and work has now joined cyclescheme.co.uk so poss adding soon.. :whistle:
Nice bikes, but I see you never went clipless - I only lasted about 6 months with clips/straps and decided that they had to go! I used the Look system for years, which I still like, but have now switched to SPDs for 'walkability'.

theloafer

Legendary Member
Nice bikes, but I see you never went clipless - I only lasted about 6 months with clips/straps and decided that they had to go! I used the Look system for years, which I still like, but have now switched to SPDs for 'walkability'.
hi colin
yes still with toe clips+straps ..took my ages to move from downtube shfters :laugh: i did try clipless once but could not get used to them at all and have not porbs with clips+straps ...club mate thought the prob was i picked the wrong type of pedal to train on they were clipless both sides,he surgested i try the half+half type so got a set off here i think but not got round to testing yet...:whistle:

ColinJ

I fell on a steep hill, still strapped to my pedals and that rather put me off clips and straps! I also found that the straps tended to cut off the blood supply to my toes and make my feet ache.

I like the fact that my SPD pedals work both ways up so I don't have to bother about flipping the pedal if it is the wrong way round.

I'll probably put my Look pedals back on my Cannondale so I can wear my nice Sidi shoes with that on sunny training rides, but I'll stick to SPDS on my Basso for forum rides, audaxes and sportives when I will be doing some walking at cafes and controls.

OP
OP
M

Moss

Hey with all this age concern, we need an old boys section on the forum! I changed in the first week of owning the CUBE to clip in pedals!! As photo below! But now going for road shoes and 105 pedals (Christmas Presents) New photo of them - Post Christmas!

PA030327.jpg

PA030330.jpg

Top Bottom