Certainly time for selling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
If you have any +1s you dont need prices are getting a little silly.

Just seen one of these on Ebay currently at £340 with a day left. I wonder if it would have reached this price if the seller mentioned the model enabling buyers to identify the age and original selling price. Obviously there is no obligation to list the model and the onus is always on buyers to research.

https://www.evanscycles.com/fuji-newest-3-0-2012-road-bike-EV148621

https://archive.fujibikes.com/2012/Fuji/newest-303

8 Years old
2300 and Sora
10.9 kg
£340 with a day left

For comparison a couple of years ago I picked up a used Fuji and at the time is was 3 years old. its got 105 and Ultregra mix weighs in at 8.5 kg and I paid just over £300 which I thought was about right.

If you are currently selling this then hats off to you.

Edit. I would question "good condition" and "hardly used" looking at the rusting to the spokes, wear on the pedals and non original tyres/bar tape.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
I have 3 I could get rid of and replace next year. :okay:

Wasn't going to bother but I may give it a go at current prices.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Bike and parts prices are very high at the moment; lots of people wanting to do something appears to be a reflection of this.

There's people wanting to get out on a bike, with supplies of new bikes low. And those who are wanting to upgrade or replace parts with time on their hands.

I'm struggling to get any sort of second-hand supply of bikes to repair and move on. Bike shops are selling their trade-ins themselves. Also some of my sale stock is in storage and I can't access that either due to the location it's in (borrowed space and the building's been shut).

OP
OP
RoadRider400

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
I'm struggling to get any sort of second-hand supply of bikes to repair and move on. Bike shops are selling their trade-ins themselves. Also some of my sale stock is in storage and I can't access that either due to the location it's in (borrowed space and the building's been shut).

When I read things like this it makes me want to use the opportunity to sell the grotter of a bike I have which I was waiting to take to the tip. Only issue is that even if I describe it as "needs repair/awful condition" I just know its asking for trouble selling the thing on Ebay.

Can I even sell a bike if the brakes dont work? I would be a private seller not a dealer.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I've sold three bikes via word of mouth for two and Gumtree for the other.

They were sold at prices I wouldn't have seen last summer, but I still managed to make a small loss on each!

Now I have space in the garage, some cash and more bike repair experience it's time to get out and ride and wait for autumn bargains.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
When I read things like this it makes me want to use the opportunity to sell the grotter of a bike I have which I was waiting to take to the tip. Only issue is that even if I describe it as "needs repair/awful condition" I just know its asking for trouble selling the thing on Ebay.

Can I even sell a bike if the brakes dont work? I would be a private seller not a dealer.

As long as you describe the faults, then yes. You can list it as 'parts/repair' which is fine, but you would get a higher price if it's working. List it in eBay or on here.

If I wasn't happy with any of the bikes I have they'd be on sale currently. Unfortunately I'm stuck as the MTB's for sale are in the storage unit, I've a TT bike out on loan and nothing else available.

In the past 2 months I've made over £1000 from selling broken/unwanted parts that were just sat in the shed, with many going out to Europe. Their supply situation is worse than ours as in France/Spain/Italy they couldn't go out to a bike shop to buy anything.

Last edited:

sleuthey

Legendary Member
If you have any +1s you dont need prices are getting a little silly.
Did exactly that last week. Pulled a felt MTB our the shed. Serviced it. Didn’t want to be silly so priced it to sell at £85. Put it on Gumtree and 3 minutes later a Polish gentleman called from 1.5 miles up the road saying he will give me £100 for it if I delivered it . Snapped his hand off and rode it round his house straight away and 30 mins later was doing my normal evening walk (back home) and being paid £15 for it!

MarkF

Guru
Did exactly that last week. Pulled a felt MTB our the shed. Serviced it. Didn’t want to be silly so priced it to sell at £85. Put it on Gumtree and 3 minutes later a Polish gentleman called from 1.5 miles up the road saying he will give me £100 for it if I delivered it . Snapped his hand off and rode it round his house straight away and 30 mins later was doing my normal evening walk (back home) and being paid £15 for it!

I've rung up for newly listed Gumtree bikes to find them sold, only to re-appear within hours, somewhere else at a far higher price. I've just got back from Chester where I picked up a Merida Cyclocross and think I am lucky to have had only a 4 hour trip to get a decent bike at a decent price. A Dawes Galaxy has just been listed on CTC for £325, a fair whack less than it would make on Gumtree/Ebay.

Gunk

Guru
A tired 2007 S Works Epic with a lower spec than mine, non original paintwork and lots of coloured anodised tat just fetched £1150!

Mines not for sale though, I’ve rejected loads of offers for it over the years, and although I don’t ride it much these days, it’s just too nice to sell!

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I've toyed with the idea of flogging my Boardman as I'd mused that the CdF might do a decent enough job to not warrant keeping it, however I'm undecided and don't want to make any rash decisions that I'd later regret. Equally I considered selling the ofo but I'd probably only just break even so it'd be a bit of a pointless excercise as it'd leave me without a shopping hack.

On the flip side to all this, I still have on my ebay watch list a 2016 Genesis CdF that's been on at £800 for absolutely months (well before the pandemic began) - seller must be a total muppet if they're not taking the hint from it not selling in the current environment!

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Bonkers pricing. I bought a barely used (under 100 miles) Trek Domane ALR on ebay for £350 last year in a size 62, full tiagra 4700 build - the frame alone was still up in places for £800.

DSK

Its partly due to desperation and most people buying right now, do not have any experience with models and approximate price points/values.

I think sellers can get away with it for bikes upto about £500 but, after that surely the average joe would have a quick google to see if their prospective purchase is a reasonable deal or a rip off. I

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Bike and parts prices are very high at the moment; lots of people wanting to do something appears to be a reflection of this.

There's people wanting to get out on a bike, with supplies of new bikes low. And those who are wanting to upgrade or replace parts with time on their hands.

Opposite here got bikes to sell but just don't have packing materials to pack them , plus being in isolation we don't want people turning up

Top Bottom