Cervelo or Cannondale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
Well all I can say to that is that I certainly notice the difference between my carbon framed bike and my aluminium one in feel and speed. I also notice a huge difference in smoothness that the different groupsets give (5700 and 6770) Each to their own.
Buy what you want and buy it for whatever reason you like, I don't think there is any reason to justify it to anybody else (except maybe the wife!)
Same here. Alu 5700 to Carbon 6800 for me. Significant gains for me too.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Cervelo for me. But the Cannondale is also a nice bike. It's a hard choice. Sure you will love what ever you choose.:okay:

Citius

Just cracks me up to see you always reply with things like "insignificant weight savings" and "105 and Ultegra pretty much look the same from a distance". That's just in this thread and plenty in others.:becool:

Well, it cracks me up that you have an ongoing English comprehension problem. But anyway, both of those statements are entirely accurate, regardless. If you disagree, you'll have to explain why.

Last edited:

bpsmith

Veteran
Well, it cracks me up that you have an ongoing English comprehension problem. But anyway, both of those statements are entirely accurate, regardless. If you disagree, you'll have to explain why.
Comprehension problem? Seriously. :hyper:

The other points speak for the themselves. Not going to hijack this thread into another Citius Circus.

Citius

Comprehension problem? Seriously. :hyper:

Yes seriously. Your responses to my posts are littered with them, as I have pointed out many times. This might help: https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/ The 'strawman' is particularly relevant in your case.

The other points speak for the themselves. Not going to hijack this thread into another Citius Circus.

Presumably you can't disagree with either statement then. Both points are on topic, so no need to 'hijack' the thread to answer them. Do try harder to understand what I've said before responding next time though, as most of our exchanges seem to come from you 'not getting it'.

Last edited:

Citius

I suspect it will boil down to which BB standard you can put up with for longest - BBright (has a few detractors) or BB30 (has loads of detractors)

bpsmith

Veteran
Yes seriously. Your responses to my posts are littered with them, as I have pointed out many times. This might help: https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/ The 'strawman' is particularly relevant in your case.

Presumably you can't disagree with either statement then. Both points are on topic, so no need to 'hijack' the thread to answer them. Do try harder to understand what I've said before responding next time though, as most of our exchanges seem to come from you 'not getting it'.
I totally comprehend everything you are saying, that's not the issue. I just find it amusing that you always say things are pointless. I start reading a thread waiting for you to chime in and say it's not worth the spend. Have not misrepresented you either, so the straw man dig doesn't work sorry. Can't misrepresent when actually quoting words from someone else's post. Surely you comprehend that. ;)

As to your arguments:

1.105 is not only lighter than Ultegra, so that argument is only part of it. It shifts better, is stiffer and is arguably better made and should therefore last longer. 300 grams of weight saving is also hardly sniffed at in my opinion, as it is with many others.

2. This bit is ludicrous. Anything looks like anything else from a distance!

As far as the trade off in the op's question, I think the Cervelo is the better buy than the Cannondale for the frame alone and its style. The groupset being the trade off for the frame.

Or would you suggest something from Argos based on the groupset weight being insignificant and them all looking the same from a distance?

Citius

99% of riders on here (myself included) wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 105 and Ultegra if they were blindfolded (ignoring the obvious safety concerns of riding blindfolded). Nor would they notice 300g of difference while doing so. You are correct in pointing out that 300g is indeed a weight saving - but it is insignificant, nontheless. Ultegra is not 'better made' - but some of the parts are made from higher quality (lighter) materials. This does not increase its longevity in any significant way.

The groupsets look very similar because they are part of the same family - until you get up close enough to read what is written on the levers (or any other parts). So it will only 'look better' if you prefer the word 'Ultegra' to '105'.

At the end of the day, buy what you fking like - I don't care. But don't trot out uneducated bullsh1t as an attempt at justification and expect it not to be challenged.

Ironically, you deny using strawman arguments, and then finish off by using one.

rb58

Enigma
Cannondale. I just took delivery of a 2015 S3 with hydraulic discs and Di2. It's a real step forward from the Ultegra 6700 on my previous 'best' bike. Oh, and it looks great.

Why will things not be made better? Maybe the parts are machined to higher tolerances? It isnt just the materials that make something better and surely if something (as an example the cassette) is made from a harder wearing material (titanium and carbon for dura ace) it will last longer and be stiffer even though it is lighter?

Top Bottom