Cervelo S3 from Wiggle No Excuses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Travs

A client of mine told me recently of his woeful luck at the above event:

Took his bike to register, leaned it against a wall while he went in to get numbers etc, came out and it was gone. All very obvious now, but I for one will put my hand up to admit I've left my bike at these sorts of events assuming that they were safe or that no-one around was going to walk off with it.

Apparently a description of the man was given and a black plumber's van was seen but nothing recovered. I half-guessed these when he was telling me - only one bike reported stolen that morning - well you wouldn't question someone walking around with one bike at a Sportive event. Of course not if he/she were wearing lycra. Reckon a guy turned up in cycling gear, selected his victim and wandered off with it.

From now on I'll always go and register leaving the bike safely locked in the car, and maybe this is something that people with much more experience/grey matter have considered already but it really made me think.

Security at these events is not really going to be cost-effective enough to cover these sorts of things - although all cars leaving were searched for it.

And also keep a look out:
Red/Black, Di2 but with battery built internally, Cosmic Carbone wheelset. He'd had it s week and not even ridden it...

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
My ride is not worth stealing, but for a nominal entry fee, it's easy pickings unfortunately.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
That's horrid for your friend.
But to be honest, even at event's I never leave my bike unlocked. That's what Cafe locks were invented for.

Another member of this forum suffered the same fate whilst cycling at Richmond Park with some friends. They all parked up and popped into the cafe came out and his bike was gone.

Onyer

I must admit to leaving my bike outside unlocked while going in to register. But point taken - I won't be doing that again. Thanks for the warning and hard luck for your mate. I saw a Cervelo S3 at the London Bike Show and they look cracking!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
There were events reported last year where thieves were attending Sportives dressed as competitors and walking off with bikes. It will happen again this year.

Dont leave your bikes unattended if they are not locked to something solid or at least another bike.

Top Bottom