Chain advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gf1959

I've just bought a 38t inner ring to replace the 34t,i'm hoping i won't have to increase the chain length,this is on a compact 34/50 chainset.
Anyone any experience on this?
Thanks

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
If its long enough for the 50 it will be long enough for 38!

OP
OP
G

gf1959

Exactly what i thought,only i've seen many references to increasing the chain length after fitting bigger sprockets,maybe they were discussing a single front ring.
I kept thinking if it fits the outer ring then it must be ok,thanks anyway

gf1959 said:
Exactly what i thought,only i've seen many references to increasing the chain length after fitting bigger sprockets,maybe they were discussing a single front ring.
I kept thinking if it fits the outer ring then it must be ok,thanks anyway

The ones with teeth at the front are chainrings and the ones at the back are sprockets. What they were on about was putting on a bigger sprocket at the back and the possible need for a new chain in this situation.

I'm not a gearing expert but if you are putting on a 39 don't you want to also increase the big chainring to save duplicating gears?

OP
OP
G

gf1959

I understand what you're saying,that makes sense now. Yes you're quite right about duplicating gears but i rarely bother with the big ring anyway,with the mod i'll be able to make better use of the 9 speed cassette,as it was i never used the first. Cheers.

Top Bottom