Chain And Cassette Advice Needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfraser

Über Member
I have a Felt F95 with Sora groupset. I'm looking to get a new cassette and chain for when I need to change them. This will be the first time I've done this so I have some questions:
  1. Would the Shimano HG50 9 speed cassette be compatible? Are there any others I should be looking at?
    I'm very happy with 11-25 and want to stick with that gearing. The current cassette is a Sunrace.
  2. When fitting a chain (I'm looking at KMC) can a quick link be used as a permanent method of linking? If so, what should I be looking for? If not, what should I be looking for?
Many thanks in advance.

potsy

Rambler
Yes to both questions.
There are a few things you'll need though like a cassette removal tool, chainwhip and a chain breaker tool (to get the new chain to the correct length)

gbb

Legendary Member
Assuming I'm looking at the right specs for the Felt F95 Sora, I'd assume the HG50 cassette with the same cogs will do fine.
The KMC quick links are, or used to be type specific, ie Shimano/KMC, or Campagnolo, not necessarily interchangable. They're fine as a permanent joint. Sorry, I see you're thinking of buying a KMC chain, therefore it will come with the correct link anyway.

OP
OP
andyfraser

andyfraser

Über Member
Yes to both questions.
There are a few things you'll need though like a cassette removal tool, chainwhip and a chain breaker tool (to get the new chain to the correct length)
Thanks. I have a chain breaker and will be buying the other tools soon. I don't plan on doing this until the end of May but I want to get everything I need over the next few weeks.
Assuming I'm looking at the right specs for the Felt F95 Sora, I'd assume the HG50 cassette with the same cogs will do fine.
The KMC quick links are, or used to be type specific, ie Shimano/KMC, or Campagnolo, not necessarily interchangable. They're fine as a permanent joint. Sorry, I see you're thinking of buying a KMC chain, therefore it will come with the correct link anyway.
KMC have a lot of fans here and my fixie has a KMC chain that I'm very happy with so why not. It's good to know they come with a link. A quick link seems like a nice way to join a chain once it's at the right length. I'll consider other makes of chain though.

OP
OP
andyfraser

andyfraser

Über Member
sram cassettes seem to be a popular choice on here.
I guess they're compatible then? Worthing looking at if they are.
I keep the old chain and use it to cut the length of the new chain to match because it may well be a different length.
That was my plan too. :smile:

Another question, how do I know which cassettes my rear wheel is compatible with? I may be missing something obvious here.

OP
OP
andyfraser

andyfraser

Über Member
Nice. Thanks for that. :smile:

Tojo

Über Member
I know it may seem obvious, but do not just measure your new chain length physically against the old one, as they DO stretch quite considerably, just count the number of links in the old one and use the same amount with the new parts....:thumbsup:

Top Bottom