Chain case missing sections

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After seeing so many pictures of bikes with missing sections of the full oil bath chain guard and owning a bike with an incomplete chain guard, I am beginning to wonder if it was a common thing of yesteryear to remove a rear quarter or the circular plate for ease of maintenance. Any insights as to why these parts go missing is appreciated.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I suspect people who bought these type of bikes were not maintainance minded so maybe when the chain started to bang around on the chainguard through lack of attention they may have just removed the offending section, just to get rid of the noise. How's that for a theory!

sidevalve

Über Member
Just a thought but as the bikes in question are usually pretty old by now it may well be that at some time in it's history the chaincase, as the bike became older and less valuable simply began to rust through [such bikes were after all working bikes unlike many modern "toys"] through neglect and were simply discarded as useless.

Dino75

Regular
Hi
On the subject of chainguards could anyone sell me a brass oil-seal bolt for the bottom of a 1955 Raleigh chainguard? Mine has gone AWOL during restoration despite lots of care with dismantled bits...
Many thanks

Top Bottom