Chain change question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
While attempting to change the chain on my bike I accidentally shortened the new chain by one link less than the old one.
Would it be ok to fit it or do I need to add a link on?

S-Express

Some more info would be useful, like which bike, gear range, etc..

Yes, you can put a new link it but it requires skill and a certain type of chain. If the chain river, when viewed head-on is peened all the way around, no. If it is only peened on two sides of the circle (i.e. two cords), then yes. Post a picture of the chain and I'll explain.

Tim Hall

Yes, you can put a new link it but it requires skill and a certain type of chain. If the chain river, when viewed head-on is peened all the way around, no. If it is only peened on two sides of the circle (i.e. two cords), then yes. Post a picture of the chain and I'll explain.
But while the OP is scrabbling around for a camera, is it likely that 8 speed chain rivets (OP's bike is 8 speed) are more amenable to re use, as opposed to fancy, skinny as a you like, 10 speed?

U

User6179

Did you count the links or did you lie the chains side by side after cutting ?
I counted the links then cut the new chain to the same number and sat it next to the old chain, it was one and a half links shorter because the old chain had stretched 3/4 of an inch .

Edit- So a new chain might look a link shorter if sat next to an old chain but they have the same amount of links , the old chain has just wore down at the pins and got longer.

Last edited by a moderator:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
How were you going to join the chain? If you were going to rivet it, just use a quicklink instead and you'll be adding a link. Otherwise check your chain length with the big to big method outlined above or use the Machinehead calculator to check the correct length.

the snail

Guru
If the rd isn't folded right up in small/small ring/sprocket, or much past 45deg on large/large then you don't need to do anything. Bear in mind that with the same no. of links, a new chain will be shorter than a worn one.

Did you count the links or did you lie the chains side by side after cutting ?
I counted the links then cut the new chain to the same number and sat it next to the old chain, it was one and a half links shorter because the old chain had stretched 3/4 of an inch .

Edit- So a new chain might look a link shorter if sat next to an old chain but they have the same amount of links , the old chain has just wore down at the pins and got longer.
With that amount of elongation, I'm pretty sure the chain has worn beyond 0.5% and will have damaged the cassette.

U

User6179

With that amount of elongation, I'm pretty sure the chain has worn beyond 0.5% and will have damaged the cassette.

Had done 5000 miles and I got another 5000 miles out the cassette ( Ultegra 10 speed) but changed the chain at 2500 miles intervals , the cassette might still have had some life in it but I swapped it out .

Top Bottom