Chain Checker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
IIRC I've took a well maintained chain up to 4500miles, I was a bit worried about chainring wear beyond that. Tyre wise up until recently, 5000 is usually the minimum I get out of a tread but I've had 4 conti 22/24mm GP's fail prematurely at the side walls :sad: IIRC the original pads on my Kinesis got nearly 10,000 miles and the Bianchi blocks are still going strongly at 5127miles but I've had other brake blocks go completely in under 1500. I guess with all components its how and what you ride and in what conditions and that is just a simplification of the many variables involved.

Matthew is as tough on bikes as he is on motorists :rolleyes:, mind you I've noticed my front brake pads are looking a bit thin, bit disappointing really, this is going to be the second set in 27,000 miles.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
nice one currently on 5000 miles ( do 1k miles a month commute) from new and chain looking ok with me park chain checker and cassette looking good though im still one the original tyres ( changing them this month) used one set brake blocks and rims are holding fine :-) can i ask what you ride? and what tyres your gone though 4 sets off?
I ride this: http://www.muddyfox.com/milano_carva_2008.html

I have had the bike for about 4 years now. I went through the original tires quite quickly as they werent the best of quality. I then had 2 sets of Conti Ultra Sports for about 2,000 miles each. And I am currently on a set of Conti City Rides (PP) which have lasted me about 6,000/7,000 miles so far (and they still have loads of tread on them).

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
Re chain stretch :-

A 12" ruler is all you need; if the pins are past the 12" mark by one tenth of an inch, the chain is stretched.

Re new cogs :-

If the rear surface of the teeth are curved, they are worn.

Top Bottom