Chain Cleaners?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Young Un

Thinking about getting a chain cleaner as my chain seems to get rather mucky rather quickly. So are they worth the money and do the work?

Steve

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
An old paintbrush does a better job.

dodgy

Has the potential to divide cyclists as helmet use already does. I think chain cleaners are pointless contraptions, they're messy and I reckon a wipe with a rag after every ride does a better job.
Perhaps you have to try one to know for yourself.

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

The thing about the chain cleaners is that you could put dergreaser in them and so degrease your chain and this seems quite hard using any other method

Steve

Cranky

I've had one of these for a couple of years but find I use it less and less now. It does work but I agree with dodgy that it's messy and fiddly.

yello

piedwagtail91 said:

Ah yes, I remember that. What baffled for me was....

NEVER EVER use a so-called 'chain washing machine' in combination with solvent. This is the one and only sure way to instantly ruin your chain.

...this, to me, implies that they believe chain cleaners CAN be used but just NOT with solvent! So, what can they be used with huh? This, and many other questions, need to be answered. ;)

Dave5N

Über Member
Steve, get the Park one. It's very good indeed.

E

Euan Uzami

make one? ;)
it's just a box with some radial rotating brushes in it and a chamber for fluid.
school project? :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

Unfortunately my current DT project is designing a product out of cardboard similar to the MUJI products. So I am designing a radio made out of cardboard and it actually looks pretty cool.

Steve

E

Euan Uzami

add-on. ;) i get bored while cleaning my chain and often fancy whacking a bit of wogan on. I'd buy one.

Top Bottom