Chain Cleaners?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cranky

Euan Uzami said:
degreaser comes with it.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5783
(but out of stock - sorry i bought the last one.)

but separately it's:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=13869

Bike-specific degreaser is an absolute ripoff, IMO. I've been using this from Screwfix for quite a while and it's brilliant. It works in chain cleaning contraptions or is just as effective applied with an old paintbrush and washed off. Biodegradable, too.

E

Euan Uzami

ah- it's concentrated. park stuff is probably just diluted down loads and sold for the same price!
(i suspect the sameis true of mucoff)

andrew_s

Legendary Member
yello said:
Ah yes, I remember that. What baffled for me was....
NEVER EVER use a so-called 'chain washing machine' in combination with solvent. This is the one and only sure way to instantly ruin your chain.
...this, to me, implies that they believe chain cleaners CAN be used but just NOT with solvent! So, what can they be used with huh? This, and many other questions, need to be answered. ;)

They can be used dry, but they aren't much use if you do.
Pretty much anything you might put in is a solvent of some sort.

Mortiroloboy

Take the chain off, place it in an inch (deep) of good old fashioned white spirit, in a suitable container, then agitate it around watch all the crud come out, take it out of the WS bath, pull the chain through a cloth until all the black has stopped coming off the chain, put it back on the bike and lube it as usual.

Mortiroloboy

Cranky said:
Bike-specific degreaser is an absolute ripoff, IMO. I've been using this from Screwfix for quite a while and it's brilliant. It works in chain cleaning contraptions or is just as effective applied with an old paintbrush and washed off. Biodegradable, too.

Top tip...show me towards Screwfix TC asap.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Just wipe the chain, spin the pedals, wipe the chain, put new oil on, spin the pedals, spin the pedals, and go. You can wipe off the oil from outside the chain if you want.
On my fixed im abit worse, i just wipe the chain one, put oil on, lift the back wheel and kick the pedals around, then go. Its 1/8th, its ment to take a beating. On my other chain i had done 1500 and it had only stretched slightly. Just a shame it had twisted:sad:

Dave5N

Über Member
User259iroloboy said:
Take the chain off, place it in an inch (deep) of good old fashioned white spirit, in a suitable container, then agitate it around watch all the crud come out, take it out of the WS bath, pull the chain through a cloth until all the black has stopped coming off the chain, put it back on the bike and lube it as usual.

Nah, takes too long. Chain cleaner takes just a few moments. I use two - one to clean and one too rinse. Job done in no time.

Cranky

Young Un said:
So do you reckon I could use that instead of white spirit?

Well, it does a fine job, brings chain, cassette etc to a very shiny state for a very economical price and with minimum effort. I've never used white spirit so can't comment on that. If there's a Screwfix store anywhere near you it's worth a try for the price, otherwise you have to add cost of delivery for mail order.

Top Bottom