1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chain cleaning

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Krypton, 15 Aug 2007.

1. Krypton

Krypton New Member

Any advice on the best method / solution to use when cleaning my chain?

2. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Depends upon how dirty you let it get - I mainly wipe down and re-lube, although if it get's gunked up, then off and in citrus degreaser.

3. kyuss

kyuss Über Member

I remove the chain and give it a good shake in an empty coke bottle with some finish line citrus degreaser. Then it gets a scrub with a brush and a good rinse out under hot water. Dried off with a towel then a squirt with some WD40 to get rid of any remaining moisture before back on the bike and a proper lube with some Finish LIne Teflon or Cross Country, depending on the weather.

4. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

On the roadie I wipe the chain down with a wet cloth (water only) and then re-lub on every ride. I don't use any degreaser or WD40 etc. With the commuter I just wipe down the chain and jockey wheels etc. about once a week and seems to be OK!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. On my commuter I use a chain cleaner (with Muc Off) and it seems to work fine, on my road bike I tend to open the chain at the power link and place it in Citrus degreaser. I also tend to wipe down the chains on both with an old rag after a ride.