Chain Cleaning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
For me the chain comes off every time.
3 jars of white spirit.
Shake the chain in the first, it clears the most dirt. Then into the second jar shake and then finally into the third jar where the white spirit is almost completely clear and the cleanest.
Take the chain out wipe of the excess white spirit and wash in the kitchen sink using soap and water. Wipe dry and sit on the radiator to dry out the inside.
Then once properly dry, a drop of lube on each roller worked into the chain by back pedalling, then wipe all the excess off.
Takes less time than it sounds and my chain always looks like new and lasts for thousands of miles.

avalon

Guru
:popcorn:I do love a chain lube / cleaning thread.

VamP

Banned
Hardly a can of worms. 'Mickle' method always gets reeled out on these boards, and chainsaw oil. Disregard for off-road application. Dry lube all the way. There's only two people posting on this thread that ride off-road in any serious sense to my knowledge, both of them have recommended the White Lightning Dry lube. Make your own mind up.

Motozulu

Über Member
I've got onto 'Squirt' dry lube - the best dry lube I have tried by far. Self cleaning and great in the wet too. No matter how much mud I'm ploughing through I never get a dirty chain. Quick soft wire brush off when dry and re lube and go again. Can't speak highly enough of this stuff. Treat yourself.

http://www.in2dust.co.uk/

OP
OP
Jody

Jody

Stubborn git
VamP - I am going to buy some dry lube next trip to the LBS. White Lightening doesn't look too bad for the money and a lot cheaper than a worn group set.

VamP

Banned
I've got onto 'Squirt' dry lube - the best dry lube I have tried by far. Self cleaning and great in the wet too. No matter how much mud I'm ploughing through I never get a dirty chain. Quick soft wire brush off when dry and re lube and go again. Can't speak highly enough of this stuff. Treat yourself.

http://www.in2dust.co.uk/

Sounds like the White Lighting stuff, probably the same ingredients. Does seem more expensive though...

Custom24

Über Member
After a ride I take the wheels off and get the bike in a bike stand. I hose off the thickest mud using a hose with a garden nozzle attached. I have to be careful around the BB, but otherwise water isn't going to get in the wheel bearings 'cos they're the other side of the garage...

Presumably you also have to be careful around the headset?
Bike stand and taking the wheels off sounds good. I will try it. I've been really, really gentle with the hose near the casette on my second freehub, but again I've found rusty bearings inside there the other night, luckily only on the drive side. I've got a new freehub on the way.

For me the chain comes off every time.
3 jars of white spirit.
Shake the chain in the first, it clears the most dirt. Then into the second jar shake and then finally into the third jar where the white spirit is almost completely clear and the cleanest.
Take the chain out wipe of the excess white spirit and wash in the kitchen sink using soap and water. Wipe dry and sit on the radiator to dry out the inside.
Then once properly dry, a drop of lube on each roller worked into the chain by back pedalling, then wipe all the excess off.
Takes less time than it sounds and my chain always looks like new and lasts for thousands of miles.
It takes exactly as long as it sounds. Too long.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Presumably you also have to be careful around the headset?
Bike stand and taking the wheels off sounds good. I will try it. I've been really, really gentle with the hose near the casette on my second freehub, but again I've found rusty bearings inside there the other night, luckily only on the drive side. I've got a new freehub on the way.
Next chance you get, take the cassette lock ring off and pack the space around the axle with a decent grease. Chandlers or marine grease is good. Replace the lockring and you'lll see there's a waterproof barrier that'll stop water getting into the freehub body at least from that side.

Never use water under pressure near it as the grease may flush out. When I clean the cassette over a bucket, I make sure the cassette is pointing downwards, so no detergent can get into the freehub. Oh, and I never, ever use degreaser on anything on the bike.
As for the headset, same applies. Washing the bike upside down doesn't help, but I always use a generous amount of grease when I fit the steerer, around the crown race and on top of the topmost bearing, under the seal that fits over the compression ring. I also always remove new bearing seals and add extra grease to start with , as many manufacturers only half pack them, even Hope.

Last edited:

Motozulu

Über Member
Sounds like the White Lighting stuff, probably the same ingredients. Does seem more expensive though...

Have never used the White Lightning, tried the Muc off dry wasn't impressed with that - the Squirt is so good though that I won't try anything else, if I'm happy with a product then I don't mind paying a few bob extra for peace of mind.

Top Bottom