Chain Cleaning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
Hi All,

I need some advice for chain cleaning. I have searched the site and it mentions the mickle method. This seems OK especially for road use but my chain has grit and mud in it which I don’t think the rub and lube will remove. I have ordered a chain bath to get in and scrub the chain but was wondering if anyone has any tips for cleaning and recommendations for degreasing type products for the bath that don’t break the bank.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Rather than degrease using solvents which will remove all the lubricant from inside the chain,why not bath it in oil something to remove the grit etc?

PpPete

Legendary Member
The mickle method will remove all kinds of crap, maybe slightly less efficiently than degreasers, but most importantly it will not strip the lubricant out from the important bit between the plates in the way that degreaser will.
If it is really really shitty then the "coke-bottle shake" with white spirit is cheap - and less likely to dump nasty solvents in to the environment than any chain bath.
Then you need to let it dry and do three cycles of mickle (i.e. lube-wipe-wipe lube-wipe-wipe lube-wipe-wipe) to get rid of the solvent or degreaser.

OP
OP
Jody

Jody

Stubborn git
I will give this mickle method another go next week when its filthy again. I just want to try an avoid wear on the group set from grit.

Paul99

Über Member
I will give this mickle method another go next week when its filthy again. I just want to try an avoid wear on the group set from grit.
Don't have to wait until it's filthy. A quick mickle after every ride is the way to go.

OP
OP
Jody

Jody

Stubborn git
Other than riding on the road its going to be filthy very ride at the moment.

A quick mickle it is then.

VamP

Banned
Dry lube is what you need. White lightning stuff is self cleaning in as much as possible. You can rinse grit residue with water after the ride and reapply.

I think those advocating just wiping off with a rag with wet lube for off road riding don't do much off road :laugh: especially in combination with chainsaw oil :eek:

Last edited:

Custom24

Über Member
Chain bath for me. And a biodegradable degreaser. I've not tried dry lube. Currently use Finish Line Wet weather.

02GF74

Über Member
How suitable is motorcycle chain lubricant on push bikes?

it is brilliant

I have no idea what the mickle method is but from experience I have learned not to overclean a chain.

A couple times I took the chain off, put it in a tin with paraffin and shake. This removed most of the oil/grit/grease but I found it went too far and stripped the grease between the links and the rollers and I found it is quite hard to regrease them; I could hear the chain grinding and graunching after greasing by spraying from a can.

nowadays I use chain lube - motorcycle chain wax type - the sort you can spray on but has solvent so it solidifies is best , then wipe the from the chain.

too much oil/grease on a chain results in grit sticking to it. you only need the grease at the moving parts, not all over the chain.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I find the Mickle method too time consuming if the chain is caked in mud or road grit.
So I take it off (I have fitted all the bikes with a quick link), give it a wash in soapy water, rinse, dry, then put it back on the bike and mickle.
I use car shampoo if I got it, or washing up liquid - the latter is not recommended because it contains salt :whistle:

Cubist

Still wavin'
This is what I do, there are other methods available, but I ride on millstone grit bridleways and therefore have a vested interest in getting it all clean properly.

There aren't any shortcuts really, but it results in a nice clean drivetrain with acceptable wear levels.

My clean chain is lubed with Finish line Dry Ceramic lube. It ain't cheap, but then you don't use much to start with. After a ride I take the wheels off and get the bike in a bike stand. I hose off the thickest mud using a hose with a garden nozzle attached. I have to be careful around the BB, but otherwise water isn't going to get in the wheel bearings 'cos they're the other side of the garage...

I then use a sponge and bucket with Turtle Wax car shampoo to sponge the bike clean, and rinse it all off with the hose. I then use a nylon washing up brush to detail clean the mechs and scrub along the chain which removes what grit and grime adhering to the dry lube (which often isn't all that much) Another rinse with clean water and then I leave the bike to drip dry (or lovingly dry it with a teatowel.... just don't tell Mrs Cube)

I clean the wheels and hubs over a bucket using the sponge and nylon brush to clean the cassette, again, making sure not too much water gets inside the hubs, but they're Hope sealed cartridge bearings with plenty of waterproof grease in them anyway.

With the wheels back on the bike I use a rag and a squirt of GT85 to get the water out of the chain and then relube with dry wax, dripping a drop onto the inside of every roller as I backpedal. I then run the chain a few revolutions to get the wax through the whole chain, then add a drop of the lube to a clean rag and run it over the chain again, this time doing the Mr Allen's Proprietary Efficacious Championship Chain Lubrification Methodology.

I have tried chainsaw oil and found it far too sticky. With dry wax not nearly as much grit adheres to the chain, which is why you can simply clean it with a sponge and car shampoo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom