Chain Comes off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Downward

Guru
My chain comes off a lot maybe once every 5 miles when I am changing the front gears.

Tonight it did it and threw all the gears out so I had to plod on home with my gears rattling and changing up and down.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Does it come off on the inside or outside? There are 2 limiting screws on the front derailleur which stop the chain going too far either way. You need to adjust at least one of them.

OP
OP
Downward

Downward

Guru
rich p said:
Does it come off on the inside or outside? There are 2 limiting screws on the front derailleur which stop the chain going too far either way. You need to adjust at least one of them.

Inside - I adjusted it as it wouldn't go on the biggest ring. Could do with a chain catch or somthing

johnsie

Could be the same problem I had, the large and small rings were not quite bolted together as snug as they could be, and there was the equivalent of a wheel buckle in the large ring - every so often pushing the chain from one ring to the other would coincide with the "buckle", thus going too far and dropping off - any help?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Make sure your chainrings are not loose.

If it's dropping off the inner chainring, consider the length of the chain. I had this problem recently and I got lots of advice on here but in the end shortening the chin by 2 links almost resolved the problem.

02GF74

Über Member
check that the derailluer cage is parallel to the chain rings - it can be knocked out of line quite easily.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
And it is set the right height above the chain ring , i had this same problem and cured it by dropping the mech till it was a coins width above the chain on the upper chain ring

http://bicycletutor.com/adjust-front-derailer/

Top Bottom