Why does my chain come off the Chainring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
On average every 3 miles, when shifting in the middle rear gears (3-5) when the chain is fairly parallel with the bike, it will fall off the outer side of the Chainring.

I have googled and checked all suggestions eg. Stiff links, BB wobble etc. I have swapped the chain and the crank/chainset.

It's a late 90s GT frame with original Spindle/cup BB, new Sunrace 7 speed shifter and new 14-34T Freewheel. Both Cranksets are unbranded but have worked well on other bikes.

Any suggestions on the cause of solution please?

IMG_20230905_133150.jpg

IMG_20230905_133454.jpg

IMG_20230905_133000.jpg

IMG_20230905_132942.jpg

T4tomo

Legendary Member
er... because you have neither a chain guide /catcher , narrow wide chain ring or clutch derailleur to keep it on. a 1x set up neds at least one of these...

something like this is what you need
1693918800257.png

shop around to find best value etc, I just snipped first photo i found for you

Ajax Bay

Guru
Plus maybe the single chain ring is well further in than the designed chainline. I'm guessing this had a triple on before.
Besides tomo's main likely issue and solution, you might improve this by replacing the (original) cartridge BB with one with a longer spindle. Of course this may result in the chain falling off inwards.
Edit: I'm also going to hypothesise that the chain comes off when you're changing down (ie to a larger sprocket) and easing off the torque (as is normal) while doing so. Such reduction in chain tension will make any lateral perturbation as the chain meets the ring more likely to throw the chain off.
https://sheldonbrown.com/chainline.html

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Maybe the derailleur is gunged up or worn out so it isn't keeping enough tension on the chain, especially if the road is a bit bumpy when changing gear?

I was watching a slow motion video of a gravel bike descending and the lower run of chain was flapping up and down. That bike may well have had a clutched rear mech. Yours won't have so the derailleur would be able to bounce about and make chain flap worse.

OP
OP
sleuthey

sleuthey

Legendary Member
er... because you have neither a chain guide /catcher , narrow wide chain ring or clutch derailleur to keep it on. a 1x set up neds at least one of these...
I have a 36T Narrow Wide Crankset on order. £15.80 on eBay. Also thought that might be the case.

If you have a 21 speed (3x7) and we're using the middle chainring and shifted from 3rd to 4th on the rear then I would not expect the chain to come off as the chain angle would not be excessive. Thus I don't understand why what I am doing is any different. Happy to be corrected.

Plus maybe the single chain ring is well further in than the designed chainline. I'm guessing this had a triple on before.
It did indeed have a triple. I'm just confused why it's doing it when the chain in well aligned in the middle gears. If it did it with 1st or 7th I would get it! 🤔

Edit: I'm also going to hypothesise that the chain comes off when you're changing down (ie to a larger sprocket)
Nope. 90% of the time it's when I'm upshifting.

Maybe the derailleur is gunged up or worn out so it isn't keeping enough tension on the chain, especially if the road is a bit bumpy when changing gear?
It's an Altus mech that's done well over 10,000 miles. It did work fine on another 1x bike but that had N/W Chainring. I'll give the pivots a clean.

Is the chain coming off when you are pedalling or when freewheeling?
Only when peddling. More so over bumps.

You might as well use a front derailleur
Appreciate the advice but I can't stand the things! 🤣

Mike_P

Guru
My ebike had an elongated chain guard which managed to get tangled up with chain on my trip for the first covid vaccination. Chain has only come off once since and that was due to changing gear as a tree root bump was reached

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
Looking at how the chain is falling off, I think the chain ring needs to go slightly inboard, all these chain guides do is mask the real problem, you shouldn’t need one if it’s set up properly.

D

Deleted member 121159

That's exactly why I have come to cc 😀

You should be fine once you install the narrow wide chainring. Don't need to worry about spindle length too much as long as there's a reasonable chainline.

Top Bottom