Why does my puncture repair keep failing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Got a flat on my recumbent when I took it put off storage. Repaired it with a make of bself adhesive patch I've used before successfully. Left it for 2 days and it was flat again. I repaired it again again and put a piece of duct tape over the rim tape that had moved showing the spoke holes. Test ride it was still hard halfway sound a 20 minute spin. Less than 2 minutes later a very sudden flat. First flat was a small, circular cut. Second and third was the patch had wrinkled and let air out.

Well I got a better brand of patches, scabs, and patched it up with a tubeless / high pressure rim tape on that section removing the duct tape pieces. Pumped it up after testing the tube for extra holes and the success of the patch in water. No further leak. In the tyre and pumped up. Turned around to pick my bits up only to hear a fizz of air escaping, it was coming out of the valve hole in the rim, but it was the patch wrinkled.

Anyway, put a new tube in but the old one should have life in it. Why is it randomly losing air pressure very suddenly?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Are you pumping up the tube post repair before putting back in the tyre?

Also, pre glued patches have to be applied the same as traditional patch and glue. I.e ruff surface, clean, place patch over hole making sure patch has no creases. Press firmly on the patch for a good 30 seconds.
Do not inflate until tube back in tyre.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Traditional glued patches are simple to apply and make a permanent repair.
I carry 3 spare tubes on most rides. I think of that as 2 spares for me and 1 donor tube for someone else. (I have given tubes away to stranded riders out on rides a couple of times.) I have had 2 punctures in 1 ride but I can't remember ever having 3.

I carry a puncture kit as well, just in case, but I prefer to do the repairs at home. My technique seems to be very effective - roughen the tube around the hole, plenty of adhesive, leave to go tacky, then apply the patch. I make extra sure that the bond is perfect by sandwiching the patch on the tube between 2 coins and clamping the sandwich firmly together using Mole Grips.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Yes standard patch protocol minus the icky glue and little crayon of yesteryear. I find a little air in helps prevent the tyre bead trapping the tube. However first few times only in the tyre. The last I put a little air in then checked for leaks in the bathroom sink. The last time it failed and it felt like air coming out of the valve hole. The patch was quarter of the way around from the valve,

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
I carry 3 spare tubes on most rides. I think of that as 2 spares for me and 1 donor tube for someone else. (I have given tubes away to stranded riders out on rides a couple of times.) I have had 2 punctures in 1 ride but I can't remember ever having 3.

I carry a puncture kit as well, just in case, but I prefer to do the repairs at home. My technique seems to be very effective - roughen the tube around the hole, plenty of adhesive, leave to go tacky, then apply the patch. I make extra sure that the bond is perfect by sandwiching the patch on the tube between 2 coins and clamping the sandwich firmly together using Mole Grips.

I had three punctures on a Sportive in Wales. The local farmers had trimmed the hedges the day before and the roads were scattered with sharp thorns. Made the mistake of not checking the tyre for one of the re-punctures. Luckily they were selling tubes at the rest stops and had a nice chap coming round with track pump to help poor souls like me

Ajax Bay

Guru
Repaired it with a make of self adhesive patch I've used before successfully.
The OP's "quarter of the way round from the valve" suggests a side wall issue (my last source of puncture as it happens). Check very carefully the tyre's sidewall just above the bead. The tube will seek out any tiny hole. Opposite the valve and it's a spoke end/rough nipple. Not quite opposite and it's rim tape slipped sideways, or if a pair, a snake bite.
Well I got a better brand of patches, scabs, and patched it up with a tubeless / high pressure rim tape on that section
standard patch protocol minus the icky glue and little crayon of yesteryear.
Get a proper puncture repair outfit with a tube of, as you put it "icky glue" and patch properly (see @ianrauk 's simple list). Wait till the vulcanising solution is dry and then apply 'proper' (not "self-adhesive") patch. Apply pressure (I put the repaired tube under the leg of a heavy table, but @ColinJ coin sandwich sounds easier).
Then inflate gently (to normal in-tyre dimension) and leave overnight (say) to assure repair successful.
Wrap, and ready as a spare for next time.
The OP's "quarter of the way round from the valve" suggests a side wall issue (my last source of puncture as it happens). Check very carefully the tyre's sidewall just above the bead. The tube will seek out any tiny hole.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I had three punctures on a Sportive in Wales. The local farmers had trimmed the hedges the day before and the roads were scattered with sharp thorns. Made the mistake of not checking the tyre for one of the re-punctures. Luckily they were selling tubes at the rest stops and had a nice chap coming round with track pump to help poor souls like me

Patches, much lighter and can repair much more punctures. Save the tubes for when wet and you can’t get a patch to stick.

Alex321

Veteran
The OP's "quarter of the way round from the valve" suggests a side wall issue (my last source of puncture as it happens). Check very carefully the tyre's sidewall just above the bead. The tube will seek out any tiny hole.
I suspect you are misinterpreting the "quarter of the way round from the valve". I think he meant a quarter of the way around the wheel from the valve position, rather than in line with the valve but a quarter way around the tube from it.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I considered that @Alex321 but decided to give the OP credit that they had offered info of some use, as opposed to (at our end of the (on)line) no use. Nevertheless, you're likely right. But Ming's analysis of the first puncture sounds good.

Last edited:

presta

Guru
I can't remember ever having 3
Between 16.1.00 and 20.8.00 I had 25 punctures in 2208 miles and 217 days, an average of one every 88 miles and 208 hours. That included four punctures in 17 miles on 8.5.00, and on 29.7.00 I had four punctures in 63 miles with front and rear punctured simultaneously from two different causes at one point. As far as I'm concerned the spare tube is a last resort if the tube's not repairable.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I've had a couple of deflations of previously patched tubes this week. In both, the cause was air leaking out the side of a patch which had previously many months and miles. I put it down to extreme temperature in the bike shelter at work, as both were fine when I arrived in the morning, but flat at 5:00 pm

Top Bottom