Chain confusion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

richmayfield

I have a AZUB Ti-fly with Bafang motor. Today with seemingly nothing amiss, the pedals on the bike no longer engaged the chain. The motor, on the other hand, with the use of the throttle, performed fine. Obviously, something is preventing the chain to engage with the pedals...but what?

Big John

Guru
Ok. I think what you mean is that the crank arm (which the pedal is attached to) can be turned but the back wheel doesn't turn. If it's as you describe, and the chain is sitting nicely on the chainring, then the chain has no choice but to turn when you turn the pedal. If it isn't turning then the chain isn't in contact with the chainring i.e. the chain has come off. IF that's the case then put the chain back on the chainring (get on YouTube if you don't know how to hitch a chain back on). However, if it IS attached to the chainring then by the sounds of it the freehub is buggered. Where's the motor on your bike? Rear wheel, middle of the bike or front wheel? If it's the back wheel then you'll need a proper ebike qualified mechanic.

gbb

Legendary Member
No experience of the specific bike / motor but logic should be the same....
Turn the pedals, does the chain move as well ?...if yes, then your freewheel or freehub is probably not working.
They can fail completely ot just become sticky...it's basically spring loaded pawls (ratchets) that may not be engaging the teeth inside the hub.

the snail

Guru
If it is a crank drive, then there will be a sprag clutch between the cranks and the chainring. This is like a 'one-way bearing' that turns in one direction, so that the motor doesn't spin the pedals, but locks in the other direction so that the pedals can drive the chain ring. My guess is that's what has failed.

Looking at the site it only shows Brose and Shimano ebike options after a quick look so not sure if the Bafang motor was actually standard equipment or a ebike conversion but being Bafang normally parts are available direct to consumers and you might be able to source a Bafang service manual to help. If the bike came with the Bafang motor fitted I would definitely contact the manufacturer for advice. They might tell you the part and the price and you could look for the part on another site if their markup is excessive.

Top Bottom