Chain drop constantly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Hi Guys

it doesn't matter how many adjustments i make to my front derailler i'm still getting chain dropping when going from big cog (50) to small cog (34). Will the dog fang attachment i have just bought help with this problem as its getting really annoying now.

Cheers guys

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
A dog fang will sort it, but the mech is still badly adjusted.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

i've tried so many adjustments on the mech and you are prob right, but the bike is only 4 weeks old and the cables are still a bit tight.

but yesterday i dropped the chain 3 times just before hill climbs and in the end was afraid to switch and ended up doing most of the ride in 34 cog

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Dog fang will help.

I have spent a long time with my bikes getting changes 100%, but if I ever get a new bike made of that carbon stuff, it will have a chain catcher....

Globalti

Legendary Member
I had the very same problem two years ago with mine. I ended up solving the problem by buying one of these.

P1060069.jpg

OP
OP
J

jowwy

So it looks like a made a good choice by going for the dog fang then in my pursuit of no more dropped chains!!!

roll on the next 35 mile training session
biggrin.gif

OP
OP
J

jowwy

OK - so the dog fang has arrived and i have now fitted it to the bike

but its sitting at least 3mm away from the chain and bottom cog is that ok??

OP
OP
J

jowwy

i'm pulling my hair out here guys

my bottom cog is too far away from the dog fang so just doesnt work - help needed

Garz

Squat Member
Picture?

Globalti

Legendary Member
3mm shouldn't matter, the important point is that there is nowhere for the chain to go. If you look at the picture I posted of the K-Edge, the gap is about 2mm. Have you actually tested it?

With these 50-34 compact chainsets I'm pretty convinced that technique has little to do with it. I tried to live with the problem for a couple of frustrating months before I fitted the K-Edge, during that time I tried all kinds of different combinations of speed and power. The problem was that the shifters would throw the chain across pretty abruptly and it would just carry on past the small ring. It was completely random but would happen about once in every three shifts so was a big annoyance when out riding with a buddy.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

my bottom bracket does look to long will try and post a pic of the bottom bracket now

Top Bottom