Chain dropping off - adjustment or just bad changing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
When I had my own problems with the chain dropping off on the down change, no adjustment seemed to prevent it so I came to believe it was caused by the derailleur flinging the chain across too violently. It certainly went over with a loud "clack".

Here's a K-Edge fitted to my bike, which had a band-on derailleur. The model for a bike with a bracket-mounted derailleur is far neater. It's a very well made little device.

P1060069.jpg
That's what I use. No matter how well your limit screw is adjusted the chain can always drop off the small ring, you've only got to hit a bump mid shift and that will be enough to derail it. Most Pro teams now fit them as standard.

OP
OP
M

MattDB

Über Member
That's really interesting - thank you. Never heard of them until this thread and everyone seems to be at it :smile:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
When I had my own problems with the chain dropping off on the down change, no adjustment seemed to prevent it so I came to believe it was caused by the derailleur flinging the chain across too violently. It certainly went over with a loud "clack".

Here's a K-Edge fitted to my bike, which had a band-on derailleur. The model for a bike with a bracket-mounted derailleur is far neater. It's a very well made little device.

P1060069.jpg
Thats a nifty bit of kit, never seen one like that before, but very few of my bike now have front end shifting.

Top Bottom