Chain dropping off - adjustment or just bad changing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MattDB

Über Member
I've got an 18sp bike and my chain drops comes off when I change down to the smaller front chain ring. This has only started happening recently and it's most often if I'm in the largest sprocket on the rear cassette i.e. I'm shifting from 10 --> 1.

So my question is, is this likely to be my gears badly set up or is this always likely to happen when shifting down like this?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Well you were cross chaining before (which is not ideal). But a tweak of the lower limit screw on the front derailleur should stop the chain coming off.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It just seems to be a problem on some bikes, my old Roubaix used to do it, which caused some embarrassing offs at the foot of climbs when I was a road novice. I cured it by fitting a K-Edge chain catcher and have always had one on my bike since.

(Deda Dog Fang works well and is cheap but I don't think it works on anything other than a round tube.)

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Careful adjustment of the L screw on the front mech should stop the chain dropping over. Not cross chaining would be a good idea too. Chain catchers are probably a very good idea on a carbon framed bike - but nothing more than correct adjustment and maintenance (keep the derailleur and cables clean and oil the pivots) will cure most chain derail issues.

OP
OP
M

MattDB

Über Member
Thanks everyone - had never heard of a chain catcher - it's not a carbon frame so I'll get adjusting and watch my changing :smile:

OP
OP
M

MattDB

Über Member
Cheers both - it doesn't get wedged - just obviously the inconvenience of having to stop and put back on, then finding something to wipe oily hands on.

Bizarrely I was trying to help a broken-down cyclist last week who had a triple and the chain had got stick between two chainrings - it had actually gouged out a path in and there was no way it was coming out again. This had apparently happened when their light fell off and dropped onto the drive train.

Globalti

Legendary Member
When I had my own problems with the chain dropping off on the down change, no adjustment seemed to prevent it so I came to believe it was caused by the derailleur flinging the chain across too violently. It certainly went over with a loud "clack".

Here's a K-Edge fitted to my bike, which had a band-on derailleur. The model for a bike with a bracket-mounted derailleur is far neater. It's a very well made little device.

P1060069.jpg

Top Bottom