Chain dropping off big ring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Have an Ultegra crank, 53/39. I can be cycling along when i change into one of the larger rings on cassette the chain drops of the large front ring. it'sDi2 the front mech does not move when this happens. Any idea's The chain is not worn.

I have an idea what it is, just want comfirmation, What you got?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
is the rear mech altering its position vertically to adjust chain tension as well as moving sideways ?

Globalti

Legendary Member
That's crossing the chain too far. I don't know how Di2 deals with a badly crossed chain but are you sure it's not knocking the chain onto the small ring to save it from wear? Or alternatively the chain is coming from so far inboard that it's just derailing off the big ring?

OP
OP
derrick

derrick

That's crossing the chain too far. I don't know how Di2 deals with a badly crossed chain but are you sure it's not knocking the chain onto the small ring to save it from wear? Or alternatively the chain is coming from so far inboard that it's just derailing off the big ring?
I know it cross chaining but it's not normally a problem.

OP
OP
derrick

derrick

Is the chain too short ?
Only if it's shrunk in the rain, been fine for all the time the bikes been used, this started happening 2 days ago.

Ajax Bay

Guru
the chain drops of (sic) the large front ring [onto the small ring].
Have you checked hanger alignment?

Shift modes / Synchronized shifting

All road Di2 builds that use the modern BT-DN110 battery support different shift modes and synchro-shifting.
This means the system will switch the rear derailleur when you change chainring, or shifts the front derailleur automatically when you shift the cassette to a certain sprocket.
Synchroshift: how does it work and How to customize Synchroshift settings

OP
OP
derrick

derrick

Have you checked hanger alignment?

Shift modes / Synchronized shifting

All road Di2 builds that use the modern BT-DN110 battery support different shift modes and synchro-shifting.
This means the system will switch the rear derailleur when you change chainring, or shifts the front derailleur automatically when you shift the cassette to a certain sprocket.
Synchroshift: how does it work and How to customize Synchroshift settings
It's nothing to do with synchronized shifting, as that has never been set up, And also that would shift at the same place every time.

Top Bottom