Chain gang or solo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fraz101

I had intentions of going to my local chain gang this spring but for a couple reasons I have decided not too.

The first reason is, I have had a few falls recently during club rides which has knocked my confidence with riding in a close bunch (at a fast pace)

The 2nd reason is I have decided I would be better served spending longer on my bike than 1 hour chaingang, 3 hours usually and doing more climbing.

Am I right in thinking doing 3hours at 2000ft plus would be more beneficial than 1 hour chaingang albeit at a faster pace,however my thinking is that solo riding is more difficult as it’s all my own work and not being aided by a group of other riders?

Any thoughts and opinions most welcomed

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
You need a mix of both higher pace riding and lower pace riding. With the majority being lower paced. Thus the answer depends on what else you are doing. If you are doing hardly any higher pace / intensity work, then the chain gang will do you good, otherwise go for the longer easier paced ride.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Depends on the profile of the hills to I would guess (not that my guess is worth much)

You could have an undulating road that (if you put in appropriate efforts) be similar to hard spells on the front and then dropping back & coming through. Or you could have one big steep ascent that would be completely different in nature, or you could have ...

Intervals will always be good in combination with other rides - but if you're going to fall off and possibly injure yourself - I'd be looking to do that indoors safely. I can do ridiculously hard sessions on a turbo that just wouldn't be safe outside.

Sharky

Guru
All depends on what your goal is. If aiming for a fast 10 mile TT, then a 3 hr ride wont help. But if you are planning a long touring type adventure or going for a 100 mile sportive, then the longer training ride will be better.

But any cycling is good.

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

I try to stick to zone 2/3 riding with one or two hard efforts added in along the way, usually 10 mins or less at full gas.
I enjoy longer rides, I’m not interested in TT work.
My goal for this year is to be able to do 50 miles plus, at 2000ft plus, at 20mph plus, steadily.
I can do it now but it takes a big effort to get above 20mph for my loops. I’m mid 19mph at present.

CXRAndy

Guru
I had intentions of going to my local chain gang this spring but for a couple reasons I have decided not too.

The first reason is, I have had a few falls recently during club rides which has knocked my confidence with riding in a close bunch (at a fast pace)

The 2nd reason is I have decided I would be better served spending longer on my bike than 1 hour chaingang, 3 hours usually and doing more climbing.

Am I right in thinking doing 3hours at 2000ft plus would be more beneficial than 1 hour chaingang albeit at a faster pace,however my thinking is that solo riding is more difficult as it’s all my own work and not being aided by a group of other riders?

Any thoughts and opinions most welcomed

You need both really, lots of Z2 and some short high intensity to peak your performance.

CXRAndy

Guru
20mph is going some. Some of my club mates got to these speeds over 50-100 miles solo by doing lots and I mean lots of Z2 work.

Another club member knocked 3 mins off his best 10 mile TT time by just doing all the big sportives, Fred Whitton, Majorca 312 etc etc. That year he won our club TT title.

If you've got the time, go for it.

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

20mph is going some. Some of my club mates got to these speeds over 50-100 miles solo by doing lots and I mean lots of Z2 work.

Another club member knocked 3 mins off his best 10 mile TT time by just doing all the big sportives, Fred Whitton, Majorca 312 etc etc. That year he won our club TT title.

If you've got the time, go for it.

I have the time.

I have spoke to a few younger club members who race and are coached by the British youth track team etc, constantly telling me z2 with short hard efforts.

Where does the improvement and power come from with riding at z2 all the time?

Jameshow

Veteran
You need both z2 work but also 10mile TT pace runs so that you are comfortable at 20mph.

Much like marathon training where you need quicker paced runs to get used to 7-8min mile pace.

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
I have the time.

I have spoke to a few younger club members who race and are coached by the British youth track team etc, constantly telling me z2 with short hard efforts.

Where does the improvement and power come from with riding at z2 all the time?

You build a base, big base where your cardiovascular system is running at the best it can. You have great endurance from all the hours

I think Ming phrased it well.

By describing the making of a cake is Z2, the cherry on top is Z5 HIT training.

Can't make a cake with just a cherry

Milzy

Guru
You need a mix of both higher pace riding and lower pace riding. With the majority being lower paced. Thus the answer depends on what else you are doing. If you are doing hardly any higher pace / intensity work, then the chain gang will do you good, otherwise go for the longer easier paced ride.

Old science now. A lot of pro’s do more high intensity now. Look at Jay Vine who has been injured so smashing himself on Zwift and not doing any real world racing. He’s mixing it up with the best right now. There’s club mates who mostly only ride hard and they’re the strongest.

CXRAndy

Guru
There are many ways to skin a cat. Low intensity Z2 has some repetitive benefits, it doesn't overly stress the body, so being able to repeat regularly with lower risk of injury.

Building a base takes some time and periods of over exertion, relapse from injury or fatigue can undermine building that strong foundation

Top Bottom