Chain guard broken. Giant Entour E2 disk (small)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Marais

Rarely but this has happened twice, my chain derails from the front gear.

The chain guard was broken, and yesterday I managed to tear the rest of it off.
(Pictures included for clarity)

Is it important to replace it?
What does it do besides keeping your pants for example from getting caught in the chain?

It certainly is easier to put the chain back on without the guard.

Many thanks for your answers.

Attachments

• IMG_2822.jpeg
    IMG_2822.jpeg
    132.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2823.jpeg
    IMG_2823.jpeg
    210.5 KB · Views: 16

Cycleops

Legendary Member
About as important as keeping your bare feet out of a picture

As I normally ride wearing jeans I much prefer to have one - mine comes off quite easily now that I have worked out the technique

However, I would think that the main point is to make sure the gears are adjusted right and don't slip off in the first place
after that maybe look for a guard that goes on and off more easily

I would also think that the guard can sometimes prevent some mud/grit/water getting onto the chain - so it does have that advantage judgeing by the amount of rubbish on the leading edge of mine

OP
OP
M

Marais

As I normally ride wearing jeans I much prefer to have one - mine comes off quite easily now that I have worked out the technique

However, I would think that the main point is to make sure the gears are adjusted right and don't slip off in the first place
after that maybe look for a guard that goes on and off more easily

I would also think that the guard can sometimes prevent some mud/grit/water getting onto the chain - so it does have that advantage judgeing by the amount of rubbish on the leading edge of mine

Funny my bike mechanic recently replaced (as you can see) the whole back gears, a new chain. They therefore carefully set up the gears and chain. I also returned to the same shop a few days ago as there was a flat tire.

They said I was wearing down the smallest (highest) gear unusually. I do tend to push and can go up to 31 k/h.

So I'm wondering if the fact that in the beginning the chain guard was just broken and detached while shifting into gear 8 (= the smallest) the chain guard was itself the cause of the derailment?

This only happened twice, and this time was a result of going into the smallest gear and pushing.

I don't think, thanks to your advice I'll replace the guard and will let you all know if in the future the chain derails.

I thank you all for any answers, very helpful!

Unless the shop photos deceive, the Giant Etour E2 has a Euro style fully enclosed chaincase style of guard. They may be showing the hub gear variant which is easier to enclose.

This makes the bike very clean to use, esp with office clothing. It also keeps dirt out of the transmission and should allow you to use a more heavily oiled chain.

OP
OP
M

Marais

Unless the shop photos deceive, the Giant Etour E2 has a Euro style fully enclosed chaincase style of guard. They may be showing the hub gear variant which is easier to enclose.

This makes the bike very clean to use, esp with office clothing. It also keeps dirt out of the transmission and should allow you to use a more heavily oiled chain.

The chain guard is called "chain blade" and does not totally enclose the chain. As the Entour 2 has 8 gears I noticed that in the highest gear for instance the chain is far from the guard and the contrary in the lowest.

I reiterate that maybe the cause of the derailment is that the chain guard was already detached before I tore the rest of it off?

Mike_P

Guru
The one on my Giant ebike broke en route to my first covid vaccination; completely tangled with the chain. Made the appointment in time and fitted instead a chain ring chain guard.

OP
OP
M

Marais

The one on my Giant ebike broke en route to my first covid vaccination; completely tangled with the chain. Made the appointment in time and fitted instead a chain ring chain guard.

If you use M-RNA vaccines on the Entour-2 series... well.... what did you expect? :-)

SKS make a chromoplastic chain guard that will not shatter. It may jam up your transmission where lesser plastics would shatter harmlessly.

OP
OP
M

Marais

I passed by the shop and workshop where I bought the bike originally.

They agreed with all of you here.

That is there is no functional importance to the chain guard.

It only protects your clothes from getting dirty or wet.

I think I'm going to completely remove it.

Thanks to all!

Top Bottom