Chain Help?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Col5632

Guru
I've looked at a few threads about cleaning the chain but im still no wiser :blush:

Im new to looking after the bike, i used to think some oil sprayed on would keep it good but thats clearly not the case. Recently got a new chain and cassette on my bike and wanting to keep them good, what should i use to clean the chain and cassette? How often? What products should i buy?

Any help greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
i just cleaned mine up with an oily rag i had lying around (cleanish of course) im tempted to try getting a chain scrubber and some dry lube for the summer.

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
Here you go.

The Mickle Method is all you need.

Thanks Ian :thumbsup:

Babywipes ;) I use a ceramic wet lube and for most rides a quick rub down with a baby wipe (back pedalling through the cloth) and relubing suffices when it has been wet. Occasionally I also use the wipes to feed in between the links and cassette to get a deeper clean.

Might give that a try, so what wet lube should i be looking at using?

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
Its probably personal choice but I like to use the Finishline lubes and I prefer their ceramic lube, slightly less muck attracting than other wet lubes and durable, so I can spend more time riding than cleaning ;)

Where do you usually buy yours from? :wacko:

boydj

Legendary Member
My version of the 'Mickle Method' is to use Pro-Link Gold - which is a fairly light, good-quality chain lube - in one of these chain cleaners where you would normally use degreaser. This loosens all the muck and removes most of it and you can then run the chain through your cloth a few times to finish off.

hotfuzzrj

Veteran
Hello all,
I just wanted to join in as I have had a problem with my chain which I think I may have now sorted...
I bought a bike in October, it was a Boardman hybrid for commuting mainly, and I noticed after less than a month that the chain looked really orangey, almost rusty although I couldn't believe it after just a month. (I do keep it indoors, would that make a difference drying out quicker etc?)
I took it to Evans and they did their cheapo Winter gear service for £15 which I was happy with as long as they got rid of the rust/orange, although I was a little disappointed as I actually wanted to learn what was wrong and how to fix it, not just leave it there and come back to collect. They tried to sell me a chain cleaner which I was resistant to, thinking that they were just trying to sell me stuff. They also sold me a little bottle of Finish Line wet lubricant, which I bought but have been pretty sparse with.
Problem sorted. Or not.
It happened again, I got out the wet lube and fixed it.
Today I looked at it and it looked a bit manky again, so I went and bought a chain cleaner which ended up being rubbish! Then I just sprayed it with a load of GT85, hose washed it all off (as recommended on the back of the can) and then reapplied wet lube. But I have just read the Mickle method (like it) and I obviously haven't wiped enough, so I've just done that now and it's back to looking metal coloured (not rust-orange or gunk-black!)
I hope this is now sorted as I don't like thinking it's gone rusty after just a few months (not excessive) use!
Thanks for any thoughts on this as I'm new to bike maintenance and could do with a few pointers. Cheers.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
A chain can become rusty overnight. Keep it clean and lubricated - Mickle method. Recommend Prolink. Little and often - every ride in wet weather. The cassette will look after itself if you keep the chain clean and lubed.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
My version of the 'Mickle Method' is to use Pro-Link Gold - which is a fairly light, good-quality chain lube - in one of these chain cleaners where you would normally use degreaser. This loosens all the muck and removes most of it and you can then run the chain through your cloth a few times to finish off.
I think that is a rather pricey way of keeping a chain clean :unsure: but each to his own ...

I used Prolink Gold last time but am intending to switch to Chain-L next chain (pretty soon, actually ;)).

The reports on it seem pretty good. :thumbsup:

[OK, it's the
it's as close to fit and forget chain oil as you’re likely to find.
which really appeals ! :thumbsup: :blush:]​
Anyone else tried it - or trying it ?

Top Bottom