chain issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mynydd

Veteran
Hi,
Anyone else had this?
I've a new bike (boardman ADV, not that that particularly relevant)
It was fine for the first week but suddenly I have an issue when changing down onto the smaller ring at the front. The chain jams, and when I say jam I mean really jams, I have a job getting it unstuck . On closer inspection it looks as if two of the links jam at right angles to each other. But I'm at a loss as to understand why.
Indexing etc. is all fine., as is lubrication.
Is it as simple as a faulty chain? or is something else going on?
Thanks

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Sounds like a stiff link, which can happen for no apparent reason.

You could try a squirt of lube and 'working' the links to free them.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Is this happening where the chain was connected ?

This can happen if connector pins was not inserted properly or the wrong size connector pin was used

Step 6 of this chain tool description is the key bit, where the pin is pressed back a tiny amount with the chain 'floating' in the chain holding slot closest to the driving pin in the tool.

That said, on a new bike, and if you don't have, or don't want to fiddle with, a chain tool, get the shop to fix it, as I Like Skol says.

OP
OP
mynydd

mynydd

Veteran
Thanks all. You've confirmed what I thought - a faulty chain..... or chain set up
unfortunately I bought this one online from cycle republic, so cant just pop it back. Have emailed them requesting they send me a replacement chain ASAP

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you do get a replacement fine but just working the stiff links with some lube will free it up .and give you a spare chain .

Cycleops

Legendary Member
agree, but shouldn't have to with a new chain should I
Stuff happens.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
just working the stiff links with some lube will free it up .and give you a spare chain .
Not if the links have been set too tight at assembly. If this is the case they will always be problematic unless mechanically eased off to increase the clearance a little. This should not be necessary on a new bike but stuff happens (cross posted with Cycleops :laugh:). It is one of the dangers of buying online, unless you have the know-how and tools to fully commission the bike yourself it can be a risk.

OP
OP
mynydd

mynydd

Veteran
Update : following a closer inspection during my coffee break I discovered a small nick in the smaller chainring (presumably caused by a pebble) that was catching the chain and causing it to jam....... borrowed a file from the workshop, and two minutes later problem sorted :becool:
Thanks for all the input

wisdom

Guru
Update : following a closer inspection during my coffee break I discovered a small nick in the smaller chainring (presumably caused by a pebble) that was catching the chain and causing it to jam....... borrowed a file from the workshop, and two minutes later problem sorted :becool:
Thanks for all the input
Just a thought.Could the chain not have caused the nick due to it jamming.The sticking link still needs to be sorted in my opinion.(just my thoughts).could you pop a photo up of the link that's causing the problem.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mynydd

mynydd

Veteran
ust a thought.Could the chain not have caused the nick due to it jamming.The sticking link still needs to be sorted in my opinion.(just my thoughts).could you pop a photo up of the link that's causing the problem.

Yes, good point.... however it was whilst looking for the dodgy link, which I was unable to, that I found it. whilst rotating the pedals slowly I noticed the chain sticking to it every few rotations...
I'll ride it home this evening, and see how I get on
Thanks

Top Bottom