Chain Length calculator

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Sheldon way for me.
You get a chain that's guaranteed to be long enough not to break something if you ever do select big/big by mistake (easily done when riding in the dark). If it's too long for small/small, then that's no big issue.

The trouble with the Shimano way is that it assumes that everything else is set up according to their recommended specs, with no pushing of the front or rear mech capacity.

kyuss

Veteran
I know I thought this calculator was a fairly complicated way of chain measurement (I still think the Sheldon way is the best way for most applications) but I'm now quite pleased you posted it Smokin Joe.

I ordered a half link chain for my fixed wheel last night and this morning was thinking I might have to send it back when it arrives as I realised it was only 96 links long (damn these silly short BMX chains). Using that calculator has put my mind at rest as with my chainring/sprocket/chainstay length combination it works out I need a chain...

....96 links long. It's gonna fit (just). xx(

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Just went through this after upgrading from 9sp tiagra chainset and derailleur to a more recent 10sp tiagra chainset and shifters with 105 rear derailleur. I simply wrapped the chain around the big front and big rear sprockets via the derailleur and broke the chain accordingly, a link pair longer would be too slack in the small ring combination, a link pair shorter would be too short :ohmy:

I shall consider an upgrade to the 105 GS derailleur at some point in the future as it might make life a bit easier.

Ajax Bay

Guru
10 (yes 10) years on, @the_mikey has resurrected this 2008 thread. How many chains have been cut and fitted in that time? Perhaps the OP, still OTP, could start a 'poll' thread to see what method CycleChatters use when they have to determine the correct length for their new chain.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/q-for-technocrats.235610/
show-your-all-mountain-bike-page-624-pinkbike-forum-bmx-chain-length-l-be88b33a960e3332-jpg.jpg

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Top Bottom