Chain length too long

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have just checked my chain that I replaced recently and discovered it is 1 link too long. It should be 108 links which it was until I added the quick link, making it 110 lengths. It is only noticeable if in small and the last 3 cogs on a 11 speed. My question is this. Should I leave it as it is ? Take a link out and fit another quick link leaving the original one in situ or should I remove 1 link and the quick link and fit a new quick link ? I am sure that I had compared the new chain with the old correctly unless that was wrong in the first place.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Personally I'd be more worried if it was a link too short. I'm surprised at one extra link causing any issue to be honest, unless the chainring and cassette combination is right at the limit of what the derailleurs can handle I'd expect them to cope with a minor variation like that.

OP
OP
S
Personally I'd be more worried if it was a link too short. I'm surprised at one extra link causing any issue to be honest, unless the chainring and cassette combination is right at the limit of what the derailleurs can handle I'd expect them to cope with a minor variation like that.
Although I`d never use small small or any other of those smaller gears I was still surprised to see the chain rub on itself when in the last two small gears. I know where I went wrong in measuring. I measured 108 links but of course adding the quick link made it 110.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Although I`d never use small small or any other of those smaller gears I was still surprised to see the chain rub on itself when in the last two small gears. I know where I went wrong in measuring. I measured 108 links but of course adding the quick link made it 110.
It's easily done and I've cut chains to the wrong length myself before now. At least it is that way round so there is scope to alter it.

If you decide not to take out the extra links it might be worth checking the B screw adjustment. Instructions here: https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/rear-derailleur-adjustment

faster

Über Member
Yep - just shorten it.

More risk of it flapping around and chipping paint off your chainstay if left too long. One link can make a surprisingly large difference.

OP
OP
S
Thanks to all your replies. I enclose a picture of the chain ring in smallest (50) and 5th smallest gear (16tooth I think) and it looks as if it would need two links taking out. The new chain I bought was a 114 link one and I have 4 spare links which I took out so going back to basic maths 114-4 = 110+ the quick link =112 so I think it is 4 links that need taking out. As @Rickshaw Phil said that he`d be surprised if one link or two if counting double made that much difference, you are right. I`ll order a quick link and remove 2 links (4), Once again thanks for the replies.

Thanks to all your replies. I enclose a picture of the chain ring in smallest (50) and 5th smallest gear (16tooth I think) and it looks as if it would need two links taking out. The new chain I bought was a 114 link one and I have 4 spare links which I took out so going back to basic maths 114-4 = 110+ the quick link =112 so I think it is 4 links that need taking out. As @Rickshaw Phil said that he`d be surprised if one link or two if counting double made that much difference, you are right. I`ll order a quick link and remove 2 links (4), Once again thanks for the replies.

View attachment 510674
Only take out one link.

faster

Über Member
I've always presumed one link is one pair of outer plates, one pair of inner plates, and one pin (and you'll need to remove a different pin to remove the link.

It just doesn't make sense otherwise, for the reason you've pointed out.

OP
OP
S
1 link is actually a pair as it is quoted in inches. The chain I purchased was sold as 114 links but going by the Machine head chain length calculator it is quoted in inches or 53 links assuming 50/28 rear. So actually my original post was incorrect in saying it was 54 links. i must have been having a bad day !

Crankarm

Guru
You should be counting the links of a chain not measuring which can give the wrong number of links needed due to chain stretch with an old chain. I have always counted and then recounted the links in a chain and never had a problem.

In any case as stated up thread it is not really "one link" as really you are talking about pairs i.e. two individual links if using a quick link. Two links is the minimum number you can take out if using a QL. If you take out just one link you'll end up with just plates (female) on one end and a male end on the other which is useless trying to fit a QL. You can't, so you have to shorten a chain by two links.

Why can't you just shorten the chain by a pair of links and re-fit your existing quick link? Don't understand why you have to buy a new QL?

Last edited:
Top Bottom