chain length

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andrewsdad

Hi I was hoping you guys can advise me, your advice before has always been spot on. Anyway I've decided to change my rear 8speed cassette 11/27 to a 12/26 do I need to shorten or lengthen my chain. Many thanks guys.

Brommyboy

Über Member
The smallest chain difference is 2 links, which equates to a 4T difference on sprocket or chain ring. For 1T difference on your larger size, no change necessary.

Brommyboy

Über Member
Each link is 1/2" so two are needed when adjusting length! One is an inner one, the other an outer, so links work in pairs.

OP
OP
andrewsdad

andrewsdad

More than you could ever possibly need to know about chains, there length and what a link is http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/bike/chain_length/chain_length_calculator.html
Many thanks

If a chain link is 1" (one pair) then a new chain at 116L is 116" or 9'8" long.
That's the wrong way of looking at it. A link is the smallest unit that can be removed so that the chain can still form a continuous loop. A link is a two-part affair.
By your reasoning one cannot remove a link from a chain and re-assemble the chain. In that world we will only have half-link chains.

midlife

Guru
Pintle chains can be shortened by one link but seem to recall they are track size only. Can you cheat and get half links nowadays. Just curious as I'm more 1970's retro :smile:

Shaun

Top Bottom