Chain length

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flyboy

Any tried and tested methods for getting your MTB chain the correct length first time every time .
Thanks in advance

vickster

Legendary Member
Measure it against the old one? They don’t stretch that much afaik

OP
OP
Flyboy

Flyboy

I have read that but unsure if you go through your derailleur , I just thought somebody on here would have a good method

Measure it against the old one? They don’t stretch that much afaik
1% over 100 links is a whole link!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 5128746, member: 9609"]and would that give enough length if you accidentally went big big when riding ?

However you measure it the chain needs to be long enough to work in big to big (if not you can do some serious damage)

that is a lot of links

I'm on a 'how far can a chain be stretched*' experiment and now have one at 2.45% ^_^

I have had to take one link out as it was getting a bit slack; and at 53 links it is still 8mm longer then when it started off at 54 links.

*(and yes I know it is not actually being stretched)[/QUOTE]
My hybrid has 115 links

This disparity might come from different approaches to counting links. What is a link? Since the only way to reduce a chain is to remove a rivet, it might be best to consider a "link" as the unit which can be varied. (Leaving out the quick link, obviously.) I put a new chain on my old 10-speed yesterday. 52 links - on my suggested method of counting.

Sharky

Guru
I have put a different ratio cassette on the back , 11/42 as to 11/36
Try the new cassette with the old chain. That is if you havent already taken it off and see how it turns. If it looks too tight, then split the new chain a couple of links longer.

Top Bottom