Chain length.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
I'm changing from a 53-39 to a 50-34 and I'm wondering if I'll need to alter the length of my chain to suit. Cassette is 9sp 11-25. Any advice would be appreciated!

OP
OP
eldudino

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
I've found this calculator and it's saying 54 links based on 420mm chainstay and 50-25 max gearing.

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
Just take a link out, that should do it. If you've got a long reach rear mech with big jockey wheel like a mountain bike type you'd probably get away with leaving it the same length.

battered

Guru
I'd be inclined to leave it. The only time you'll have a problem will be on small front plus small rear and you shouldn't be using that anyway. If you are unsure you can always slot the chain back together with a paperclip and see if it looks about right before you properly assemble it.

OP
OP
eldudino

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
I'd be inclined to leave it. The only time you'll have a problem will be on small front plus small rear and you shouldn't be using that anyway. If you are unsure you can always slot the chain back together with a paperclip and see if it looks about right before you properly assemble it.

I think you're right, thanks for the paper clip tip! The calculator suggests it should stay the same length as before and I'll do what it says in the Sheldon article too.

Top Bottom