Chain link grumble

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I have had a really frustrating time attempting to change the chain on my bike. A twig got caught up in my chain and twisted a link, which made the chain jump every time I put any force down. I ordered another chain off the internet. When it arrived, it was a ghastly colour. I am not sure how to describe it. Anyway, I thought I had better put up with it for now, but then I found the chain jumped in certain gears, probably due to wear in the cassette. I had a difficult time trying to get the cassette off, which ended with me taking it into a workshop and getting someone to anglegrind it off. I bought another chain, but I just could not fit the split link. It just would not go. So I went back to the shop and bought another split link for £2. That one fit, but it was stiff, and caused the chain to jump every time it went around the cassette. I tried fitting the other link, with one of the pins I had removed from the chain. It looked like it had worked, but I was not surprised when the chain fell off after cycling for three minutes. I have just ordered three different types of link off the internet, confusing in these days of 10 speed, 9 speed, 5-6-7-8 spreed and single speed chains. Why are these chain links so expensive and so rubbish?

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
What brand was it? My KMC links seem fine but I guess there isn't a lot of room for tolerance in manufacturing.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
How many sprockets are you using? I've used the Wippermann and SRAM links for 8 speed and found both of them excellent. Although having said that, I used SRAM links on SRAM chains, and Wippermann links on Wippermann chains. I don't have any experience of more than 8 speed, so can't help with that.

martint235

Dog on a bike
You probably already know this but just in case, some Shimano chains are directional to speed up shifting. Not sure what would happen if you put one on the wrong way round but jumping is a possibility.

I only use the quick links in an emergency, if I'm changing the chain at home, pins all the way.

Broadside

Guru
I bought a KMC chain recently and the connector link that came in the box was the wrong one as it was 2mm short. I don't know if it was KMC that boxed it wrong or if CRC opened the box and put the wrong link in, but CRC sent the correct link and all has been good since.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
How many sprockets are you using? I've used the Wippermann and SRAM links for 8 speed and found both of them excellent. Although having said that, I used SRAM links on SRAM chains, and Wippermann links on Wippermann chains. I don't have any experience of more than 8 speed, so can't help with that.

8 speed. I could not find any Shimano links on the website I ordered the links from last night. Will bear in mind SRAM and Wippermann chains in future.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
You probably already know this but just in case, some Shimano chains are directional to speed up shifting. Not sure what would happen if you put one on the wrong way round but jumping is a possibility.

I only use the quick links in an emergency, if I'm changing the chain at home, pins all the way.

I didn't know that, but I don't think it was one of those chains.

Yes, I had forgotten about the pins with the breakable ends. They look a better way of fixing a chain.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
8 speed. I could not find any Shimano links on the website I ordered the links from last night. Will bear in mind SRAM and Wippermann chains in future.
SRAM quick links are indestructible. I rode an SRAM chain with its SRAM quick link until it broke one day when the lights turned to green. I put the chain in a carrier bag and when I got home I found the broken link was a regular link rather than the quick link. At that stage I binned the chain, chainring and sprockets because they were all hopelessly worn.

Apparently the riveting on quick links is much stronger than the riveting on regular links. SRAM don't rivet regular links to the same strength as a quick link because people would struggle to shorten the chain using typical chain tools.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I've been using the same Wippermann Connex link on the previous two (and current) Shimano chain. I haven't had to replace the Wippermann link, yet.

screenman

Legendary Member
There seems to be a common denominator running through this thread and it has not been bought, maybe it is time to take it too a shop and have the job done properly, think how much time and money you would have saved.

U

User6179

I have had a really frustrating time attempting to change the chain on my bike. A twig got caught up in my chain and twisted a link, which made the chain jump every time I put any force down. I ordered another chain off the internet. When it arrived, it was a ghastly colour. I am not sure how to describe it. Anyway, I thought I had better put up with it for now, but then I found the chain jumped in certain gears, probably due to wear in the cassette. I had a difficult time trying to get the cassette off, which ended with me taking it into a workshop and getting someone to anglegrind it off. I bought another chain, but I just could not fit the split link. It just would not go. So I went back to the shop and bought another split link for £2. That one fit, but it was stiff, and caused the chain to jump every time it went around the cassette. I tried fitting the other link, with one of the pins I had removed from the chain. It looked like it had worked, but I was not surprised when the chain fell off after cycling for three minutes. I have just ordered three different types of link off the internet, confusing in these days of 10 speed, 9 speed, 5-6-7-8 spreed and single speed chains. Why are these chain links so expensive and so rubbish?

How long have you worked for Halfords ?:smile:

Top Bottom