Chain links

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Quick-links weigh just about nothing, so I've carried one every time I've been out for the last many, many years. It was pressed into service yesterday when my (brand-new) chain burst open. My minitool (http://www.topeak.com/products/Mini-Tools/mini20pro_black) also has a chaintool, and is absolutely tiny, so 30 minutes fettling in the sun half of which were spent opening a quicklink and rethreading the chain through the front derailleur rather than underneath it saved a taxi ride home.

If you have a friend with you to help steady the pedals, whipping off a single link of a chain, rethreading the chain and fixing with a quicklink is a matter of a few minutes' job.

OP
OP
Stripes

Stripes

Pretty much this. Get yourself a decent-ish saddlebag that you can just leave on the bike, it should have the above. I'd also second the topeak nexus tool, pretty decent, although I also carry a separate pair of park tyre levers. I don't carry a spare chain link, as I'll just fix the chain, if it breaks there is a strong chance you'll have to remove a link or two anyway to use the quicklink, so save yourself the hassle and just carry the tool. Practice on a spare bit of chain first though.
Thanks for that advice
Great help
Appreciated

OP
OP
Stripes

Stripes

Most people carry a spare tube, a set of levers, a tiny packet of 'glueless' patches (in case you get more than one puncture on a ride), and a pump. It's prudent to carry the allen keys you need (8 and 6? - often only two so several on a multitool are redundant) and a screwdriver (can be on the other end of an allen key). Worth carrying a 'tyre boot' to cope with a slashed side wall (though very likely you'll be able make do with road litter) and a couple of zip ties can help solve a variety of problems. Emergency food. Mobile phone. Debit card.
Need to be able to use all the above. No good just carrying it!

As others have said, a broken chain is rare but if you want to be prepared for that (because it really is a showstopper), a chain tool and a 'quick link' are needed. You can do without the quick link but given its minimal size and weight why would you and takes the risk and faff out of forcing the pin back into the sideplate (so I disagree with @si_c here).

As always, @Dogtrousers gives sound advice with his graduated set of lists.
Thanks for the advice
Helps loads

Top Bottom