Chain lube fashion trends?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I'm a sucker for new lubes. Give it a snazzy name and charge £11 for a small bottle and you can bet I'll be walking out of the shop with three bottles of it. Especially if the name somehow hints that it'll make me faster.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Even better: if the lube is designed to piss all over the place during application and 2/3rds of it is some kind of cheap volatile solvent I'll be back for more within a couple of weeks.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
+1 [quote name='swee'pea99']This is the one to use - take my word for it. (and get it from here, 'cos they don't charge for postage)[/quote]
- and apply it using one of these http://www.pearcecycles.co.uk/product/177
I have used nothing else from new - 18 months, with no measurable wear to the drive train so far. Little and often, wipe off any surplus after application. The Luber allows you to get the lube exactly where its needed.

Bigtwin

GT85 unless it's wet oot, in which case whatever's more oily and comes to hand.

Tried all sorts over the years - results the same. Campy lasts ages, as does Sachs, ShimaNO just wears out whatever you do.

I think it's cleaning it that makes it last, not lubing it. Though don't try not lubing it at all, that won't help much.

youngoldbloke

- yep! admittedly you could use a hypodermic, but they are not quite the same. The body of the Luber is flexible so that the flow is controlled by gentle squeezing. The 'needle' unscrews from the body so that it can be refilled, (and has a replaceable cover for the tip). [It also has a pen type clip so that you can keep it in your top pocket - if you should wish to...]
In brief, no plunger, easier and cleaner to use - but if you have a handy source of syringes, why not? The important point is that you are not slopping (expensive) lube all over the place.

jimboalee

youngoldbloke said:
- yep! admittedly you could use a hypodermic, but they are not quite the same. The body of the Luber is flexible so that the flow is controlled by gentle squeezing. The 'needle' unscrews from the body so that it can be refilled, (and has a replaceable cover for the tip). [It also has a pen type clip so that you can keep it in your top pocket - if you should wish to...]
In brief, no plunger, easier and cleaner to use - but if you have a handy source of syringes, why not? The important point is that you are not slopping (expensive) lube all over the place.

There is also the 'Pipette'.

youngoldbloke

jimboalee said:
There is also the 'Pipette'.

Yes, but I still feel the Luber has advantages: manual pipettes require the use of the thumb to dispense the contents - an awkward action when dealing with lubrication points on the bike - and can they be left partially filled? Can they be transported with contents - in bag or pocket? Agreed, the amount dispensed can be carefully controlled; indeed if one used an electronic pipette, the quantity of lube released could be pre-programmed, but then I think you are talking about much more than a fiver!
All things considered, I'll still recommend the one I'm using, thanks.

Top Bottom